Chapter One - Six Months Prior

Chapter One

Six Months Prior

            “Colt! Sky! Wake up!” Brooklyn, my mom, yelled up the stairs trying to wake my brother and I up. Yeah right, I thought, you’re going to have to push me out of my bed mom. As if reading my thoughts, Brook came into my room, pulled my blanket off, and glared at me.

            “Honey, I know you want your beauty sleep, but you need to get ready for school.” Brooklyn consoled me. I groaned, but rolled out of bed anyway, running my hand through my tangled black hair. “Good, now get your brother up and get dressed.”

            “Yeah, yeah, yeah,” I rolled my blue eyes, and picked up my shoe and threw it at Colt’s head.  

            He bolted upright, fists ready, “Wh-what?” Brooklyn laughed and walked out of the room as I got up and walked over to my closet.

            “Get up you lazy bum.” I looked over my shoulder to see him saluting and walking over to his closet. Our house is small so Colt and I are forced to share the same room. Luckily, there are too closets. Inside my small walk-in closet, I had my shirts, pants, shorts, and undergarments in their specific spots. Unlike Colt who just had his clothes crumpled and strewn across the beige carpet. I shook my head at his inability to be organized.

            I searched through the hangers trying to find some kind of outfit to put together. I decided to go with a light grey v-neck t-shirt and dark denim shorts. After I pulled my clothes on, I walked out of the closet and collided with Colton. I reeled backward, but was quickly caught by his arm. “Whoa, you are such a klutz,” he chuckled and pulled me up a bit forcefully.

            “Aren’t you a charmer,” I muttered, “It’s beyond me how you even have a girlfriend.” Sarah Cain was the prettiest girl at our school, West Wood High. She had long, wavy blonde hair, light blue eyes, and was happened to be my best friend. Awkward.

            “It’s not my fault your best friend wants me,” Colt winked and strode out of the room, wearing something similar to me – light grey t-shirt and dark denim jeans. I followed after him, closing the door to our room. 

            “Good! You’re awake!” Brooklyn said happily. “There’s no time for breakfast, so grab a banana and get going. You might miss the bus.” Colt and I nodded in sync and strolled out of the house, down the rock lined path and to the bus stop at our corner.

**

            “Colton! Skylar!” A voice shrieked as we walked off our bus; we looked up just in time to see Sarah running toward us. She hugged me quickly and then kissed Colt.

            “Hey Babe,” He smirked. I just rolled my eyes, said goodbye, and went to look for Jace Owens, my boyfriend, my best friend, my other half. We’ve been dating for almost two years. He is the best thing that ever happened to me. I continued to move toward the main entrance to the school, walking past bickering couples and guys goofing around. Before I reached for the door, an arm slipped around my waste and pulled me behind the wall separating the courtyard from the front of the school.

            “Guess who,” A deep voice whispered into my ear. I leaned back into his chest, tilting my head up.

            “Hey Jace,” I giggled.

            “Aw man! How’d you know?” He asked as he spun me around and intertwined our fingers. I looked up into his light blue eyes and smiled. He’s so cute, I thought.

            “Just a guess.” I shrugged as he leaned down and kissed my forehead. “Come on, we’re going to be late for homeroom.” Jace grabbed my hand and we walked together into school, and all I could think was, I love him. He’s perfect.

**

Oh how wrong I was.