Chapter Four

Chapter Four

            I woke up the day after our family conversation with a knot in my stomach. Every time I thought of what was coming after me – after my family – the knot tightened. I couldn’t do it, I couldn’t break-up with Jace.

            “You have to Sky,” Colton’s voice broke through my thoughts and I found him standing across the room.

            “H-how’d you know?” He chuckled.

            “We’re twins remember?” I gave him a puzzled look. “I’m not stupid, I know that look. You’re deep in thought, and it’s obviously about Jace.” I sighed and got out of bed, moving toward my closet. Luckily, I took a late shower last night or else I wouldn’t have time to today. Stupid thoughts. “I can be there when you do it if you want?” I pulled on a pair of boot leg jeans, dark blue tank top, and a white leather jacket.

            “No, I’ll have Sarah come with me…unless you guys are going to be up to something?”

            “Oh, no, that’s fine, Brett and I are going to the gym during free period.” I nodded and walked out of the room, Colton followed shortly behind me.

**

            I was sitting in the back of the room in my Sociology class. I wasn’t paying attention anymore, I had already read the chapter Ms. Moore was talking about. I was too busy thinking about what I was going to say to Jace next period. I could go all typical and tell him he deserves better? No, cause that’ll just backfire, he’ll tell me there’s no one better than me. He always does that. I can’t do this. I won’t. I love Jace, I need him. Maybe he just likes dragons, and got a tattoo. But why wouldn’t he say anything like always? I pondered this while Ms. Moore continued to talk about the different types of approaches to psychology.

            I saw a piece of paper fall onto my desk. I looked around the room puzzled, and saw Amelia Simmons grinning at me. What does she want?  I pulled the piece of paper open.

Hey, you okay?

Uh, yeah, I’m fine. My mom just wants me to break up with Jace.

I tossed the paper back at her and she returned it.

What? Why?

She says he’s bad news. I don’t know…maybe I should.

Don’t, you guys are too cute. You can always tell your mom you did.

Colton would tattle on me. Like always.

Mamma’s boy.

I nodded and folded the paper and shoved it in my pocket. I should break up with him, I know I should. If my mom is right, then I could get raped. But…If she’s wrong…I could lose the guy I love.

The bell rang and broke me out of my thoughts. Amelia gave me a quick hug, her wavy blonde hair tickled my nose. “You’ll be okay, Sky,” I nodded and saw a note of sympathy in her green eyes.

I strode out of the room and quickly found Sarah leaning against my locker. I pushed her out of my way and opened my locker. Shoving my books into my locker, I slammed it shut not bothering to get anything else. “What’s up? Why’d you need me to meet you here?” I grabbed her by her hand and pulled her into the stairwell and then underneath the stairs.

            “Brook wants me to break up with Jace.”

            “Why!?”