“Finally,” Shirelle said when they walked into their third period class.

“I know. I can’t wait to see what vocal enrichment is. I’ll bet it’s way better than English and algebra.”

“That’s not what I meant. I mean, finally something interesting is about to happen.”

“And what’s that?”

“Look.”

Shirelle bobbed her head to the back of the class where none other than Ethan, the supreme gift himself, was sitting. Kara couldn’t believe she hadn’t spotted him first. There he was, less than ten feet in front of her, and she hadn’t even noticed.

“Wonder if he sings,” Kara said.

“Only one way to find out.” 

“What? You mean just go up and ask him?”

“Why not?”

“Because he’ll probably tell me to get lost, if he even talks to me at all.”

“Girl, you are too much.”

“Where do you want to sit? And don’t say somewhere by him.”

Shirelle gave her a sly smile. “Okay, I won’t say it,” she said and walked to the back of the class and took the seat in front of Ethan.

I’m going to faint, Kara thought, debating whether or not to follow.

“Kara, over here,” Shirelle said, waving her over.

Kara’s heart hammered against her ribs when Ethan suddenly locked his intense gaze on her. If she wasn’t going to faint before, there was no doubt she was now. The seat waiting for her felt like it was on the other side of the world, and she exhaled when she dropped down beside Shirelle.

“These seats okay?” Shirelle asked.

“Fine,” Kara muttered.

“Yeah, well they’re about to get finer.”

“I’m afraid to ask what that means.”

Shirelle turned to face Ethan. “So, what are you doing in this class?”

Ethan knitted his eyebrows together. “What?”

“Are you a singer or something?”  

“Something.”

He’s something all right, Kara thought and then blushed when he flashed her a confident smile.  

“I’m an R and B singer,” Shirelle continued. “I’ve already got my stage name picked out and everything. I’m gonna call myself Sugar, only I’m not gonna spell it the same.”

Kara thought of one of her favorite Stephen King movies with Michael Clark Duncan’s character always telling everyone his name was John Coffey.

Like the sweetener, only not spelt the same.

“Just like The Green Mile,” Ethan said, and Kara’s eyes widened.

“What?” Shirelle frowned.

“Coffey only not spelt the same. You’re Sugar, only not spelt the same.”

The door opened as the last bell rang, and Kara’s jaw dropped to her chest to see Adrienne Ambrose sweep into the room. Adrienne Ambrose was a huge Broadway star. Having lived in New York as long as she had the name Adrienne Ambrose was impossible to miss.

“Good morning, students. My name is Ms. Ambrose, and I’m going to be your guide in this journey of vocal enrichment and understanding. Now, before I get into a more detailed explanation of what you’ll be learning this year, let me take roll first.”