37 - The Preacher

Start from the beginning

She sighed with exasperation, throwing her hands up, "Fine, fine. You can stay in the bed. But—if you so much as poke me you are sleeping outside."

"Of course," he winked, and she gave him one final look before removing her weapons and armor. He, like-wise, started to do the same. She honestly wanted to sleep now, but once she saw Ezio's expression change—become more somber as he got into his thinking mood—she knew some more talk was involved. They had already strategized some earlier, but the old couple might have said something to change things. As such, she set herself down on the bed to start tugging her boots off.

"So. Same game plan then, or what? Meet with the Thieves, Courtesans, and Mercenaries to get the information, then go from there while avoiding guards?" she inquired, leaning back on her arms as she got the last boot off and let it slump onto the stone floor.

Ezio hummed as he worked his own off, "Just about. Although the old couple mentioned the priest as apparently been doing... odd things. He preaches more than usual and in a frenzied state. They said the guards have been more active, too, but they also mentioned they aren't sure who to look for. The preacher just mentioned assassins but not what they looked like."

"Well, that's good for us then. We can move more easily... do you want to split up, though? Or stick together?"

"Mmm... split up—for now. If we learn anything, we'll meet in the city's marketplace—near the tailor," he replied before poking through his weapons and finding his throwing knives. He took out a towel from his pack and started to tinker with them, making sure they were in good shape. Catherine decided to do the same, though inspected her sword and hidden blade first.

"Hopefully the others know his schedule and route now—then maybe we can surprise him and do this quick and easy. The less commotion the better," she mused as she touched at a small chip in the metal. She frowned, but would have to have it fixed some other time.

"I would certainly like that, but if he's in a crazed state it could be more difficult. And then the bit about the increased guard..."

She glanced up at him, then exchanged her blade for a dagger, "We can handle guards—pick them off. That's probably what will take the longest.... Uuugh, I just realized we might have to deal with stupid archers. I hate dealing with archers."

"Oh, come on—they're not that bad," Ezio laughed as he switched weapons, too. "We'll just tread carefully and once we find Antonio we'll make a plan to get to him."

"We should spend tomorrow scouting the city then, too; get tips from the Thieves on which alleyways to use and the best ways to get to the brothel, and then check with the Mercenaries to make sure they have the choke points and can help with things."

"Good idea. Although, if we get to the monk first..."

She shrugged, "We'll wing it as we go—as usual. Anyways, all good on your weapons? I'm tempted to almost not take all of them to seem less conspicuous... I do have my cloak, which, unfortunately, I still have to use..."

"Oh, don't pout," he chuckled, pausing to look at her. "You know Monteriggioni is the only place no one looks twice at you waltzing around in your armory. Don't worry about it too much, though; the cloak will be fine, and it doesn't look all that bad on you."

"Oh, thanks. Knowing I am fashionable just helps so much," she snorted, giving him a look, but he just laughed again. She rolled her eyes, but then sighed as she got her last dagger inspected and put it back into place. "I'm just glad Annetta got it fitted it better. Right, well, I'm good on my gear. Need help with yours?"