Epilogue

Three years earlier~

"Ayato!" Anri screamed in a pained voice, forcing herself to sound terrified.

"No." Ayato groaned, pressing on the 'stop' and 'delete' buttons on the recorder. "You need to sound more terrorized. Like I'm actually killing you."

"Well, it's not like you terrorize me."

"Don't try me. I definitely can, in more ways than just attempted murder." He mentioned suggestively.

"Shut up." She spat. "We need to get this done and make it sound believable."

Ayato suddenly launched himself at her, causing her to shriek in surprise. His fingers drifted under her clothes and pressed rhythmically on her waist, allowing him to easily push her down onto the bed.

"Ayato!" She shouted again, her voice cracking as he tickled her and she kicked heavily to free herself. "Stop!"

"I'm sorry." He said in a forcefully low voice to stifle his own laughter. "You know I don't have a choice."

The consistent movements on her skin made her unable to speak clearly, stuttering without being able to complete her sentences. "B-but-"

She was suddenly interrupted when she kicked a coffee mug, causing it to fall and shatter on the floor. She screamed in shock, and Ayato stopped tickling her as he commented, "This is what will make everything 'okay' and 'perfect.'"

After that, he stopped the recording, fully satisfied with the outcome.

"You idiot!" Anri squeaked, her face red with shyness.

"Well, thanks to me, we just got a totally believable recording of me killing you." He huffed with pride.

"Gee, thanks." She rolled her eyes. "I should just spill my own blood all over that thing to make it more believable." She added sarcastically.

"Actually... that's not a bad idea."

"What?" She asked, dumbfounded.

"If you just cut your arm or something, you could get blood all over and make the lie that I killed you more believable with more evidence. And, from the smell, Tatara and Eto would be able to tell that it belongs to you."

She released a deep sigh, and at that point, she was willing to do whatever to help force the belief that Ayato killed her. "What are you going to do? Bite me?"

"That sounds like it's fun for both of us." He smirked

"Shut it, pervert."

"Aw, come on. It's just a bite. It's not like I'm going to take out a chunk of your flesh."

"I know. And it needs to be done."

"I bet you taste good."

"Just do it! You're making me uncomfortable!"

Hours later, the two young ghouls were at the train station. The girl was completely prepared to reassume a human persona to fit in with society, even outside of Tokyo, with a full suitcase of belongings, including one of the boy's sweatshirts.

The loud, muffled voice in the speakers informed, "The train to Aomori will arrive in five minutes."

Anri clutched his scarf -- the one she had given him for Christmas -- and brought it to her nose and lips. She breathed in deeply, inhaling his sweet scent that she knew she would miss dearly.

"I'm sorry that this has to happen." Ayato apologized softly.

"We live in a cruel world, don't we?" She whispered as the boy wrapped his arm around her shoulder, bringing her closer.