Part 12

"I-I'll... join."

Anri hung her head in defeat and the unnamed ghoul seeming to run the Spades hovered over her. She didn't particularly care about leaving Aogiri Tree, but what she was devastated from having to leave Ayato.

She apologized relentlessly in her mind.

The man pinched her chin, forcing her to look at him and his greedy, sickening grin through her tears. "Now, that you're mine, I am your master." With every word he grew more twisted. "Hideo Izumi."

"You're still a little shit." She hissed, earning a knee in her chest. Her limbs crumbled under body, letting her fall to the ground and clutch her body tightly. The scarf she wore -- Ayato's scarf -- fell from her neck. She reached out and grasped onto it, not wanting to let it go.

Izumi kicked her back and tore the scarf from her hands. "It's time for you to let everything go and just succumb to master Izumi."

"Screw you." She spat, unable to do anything as she watched him tear it into pieces.

"I guess I can give you some information." He hummed, clearly realizing he had achieved his goal. "Your parents weren't killed by Ghoul Investigators, and it's kind of stupid for thinking they were. If they had been Ghoul Investigators, you would be dead, too."

"You're lying."

"What do I have to gain from lying?"

"Why would I even consider trusting you?"

"Because you're mine, so you have no one else to trust."

She didn't respond, knowing there was no way out of it at this point.

"You see, who else could kill your parents?" He asked rhetorically before exclaiming, "Correct! Ghouls, of course. But why exactly would they do that and leave you alive?"

"Because they couldn't find me. Why else?"

"What do you know about your parents?"

"That they were happy, and we were a relatively normal, happy family. Until it was ruined."

"You're so naive, Anri." He laughed. "It's pathetic."

"I am not naive!" She pushed herself to her knees.

"No marriage is perfect. No love is perfect."

"Of course not. But I had a happy family. And what do you know about all of this?!"

"I know who killed your parents and why." He suddenly loomed over her again, pushing her back to the ground. His knees were on both sides of her as he sat on her waist, keeping her from kicking him. She tried to punch him or push him, but he easily caught her hands and pinned her wrists above her head. "But, you're going to have to do more to get me to tell you what I know."

"I never asked."

"Either way, I'll get what I want, and in exchange, I'll tell you information that you don't know." He grinned mischievously. "If that doesn't sit well with you, then I will just take what I want."

With his free hand he stroked her jawline. She turned her head away to avoid him, but she wouldn't be able to free herself.

He pressed his lips to her neck, sucking on her skin as she stifled moans. He proceeded to her collarbone, where in between he spoke. "You see, you and your father were the ones in the way." He tugged on the collar of her dress, pulling it lower and lower. "My father wanted your mother. They even loved each other at one point..."