Part 2

Anri waited outside the school gates that afternoon, wearing a coat for the cold weather and trying to suppress the pain of all of the losses she would have to endure.

"Anri!" Eichi's kind voice shouted as he saw her leaning on one of the gate's pillars.

She smiled at him, trying to hide her sadness. "I'm sorry that I didn't contact you sooner. Something came up and I couldn't go to school."

"All I care about is that you're okay." He beamed with assurance. "Anyway, if you didn't go to school today, why are you here, now?"

"Let's go on a date."

"Hm?"

"Do you not want to?"

"Of course I want to, buy what is there to do?"

"I dunno." Anri shrugged. "Let's do something fun. Like -- hypothetically speaking -- if this was our last day together, what would we do?"

Eichi seemed taken aback by the girl's suggestion as he commented, "It's scary to think that way."

"Just 'hypothetically speaking.'" She hummed. "Would we go see a movie, go to the amusement park, walk through Tokyo, or maybe we could do it."

The blonde boy chuckled. "I guess -- hypothetically speaking -- I would just want to hang out with you. Maybe we could make dinner together at your place and then just lie around and talk for hours."

The girl wore a soft grin upon hearing his words, knowing how much if a warm-hearted gentleman he was. "Then let's do that. Oh, but I just ate, let's just make coffee instead."

"Sounds great, but that doesn't mean anything weird is going on, right? I mean, just 'hypothetically speaking.'"

Anri smiled confidently, not offering a spoken response, yet that was all Eichi needed to assure himself.

++++++++

The next day, Anri knew what she needed to do, but she dreaded it. Her heart churned; she really liked Eichi -- to the point where she could say she loved him.

However, she knew that he would never love her true self. He loved the human, star student, Anri, but he could never love the Silver Fox: Who she really was.

And there was no way she would bring danger upon him, especially considering the arrogant Black Rabbit's barter for her submission to Aogiri Tree. "I hate you." She whispered harshly, no one able to hear as she stifled tears.

After the final bell rung, signaling the end of the school day, Anri met Eichi on the roof of the building. When the boy arrived, he asked curiously, "Hey, why'd you call me up here, Anri?"

Before any further conversation was made, she grasped his face between her small hands and kissed him passionately.

After they broke apart, she took a step back, hiding her pained emerald gaze behind the shadow of her blunt bangs. As he stared at her dumbfounded, she muttered, "We need to break up."

"W-what?" His brown eyes were wide with terror.

"Today was my last day at school, and I think you need to move on and find someone better for you." Her voice cracked.

"But Anri, I love you. I only want you." Eichi furrowed his thick brows. "We can still be together even if you don't go to school here."

She shook her head, wearing a sad smile. "It's not just that. You need to find someone you can really be with. Someone who's the same as you."

"I don't need anything like that!" He protested.

"I know you don't understand, but -"

"Of course I don't understand! I love you, and I thought you loved me, too." Tears welled in the boy's eyes.