Chapter 8: Milan

I kick a pebble along the dirt drive behind the school. We've got a rundown playground back there that's on the outskirts of an old, shabby park. None of it has been kept up, and the school couldn't acquisition the land from the owners. I have permission from the elderly lady who owns it to walk around in the park after school. It's something I made a point of asking when I discovered that there were trails and nice spots to hang out along the creek behind our school.

That's what I was planning to do today. I usually spend an hour or so doing homework there if it's not too cold. Today is mild and breezy, so I decide to chance it. Yeah, it might be a little damp and there's snow everywhere, but I don't mind. There's a bench in one of the spots I like, and it's relatively sheltered from the wind.

This isn't what I end up doing, however. I hear loud voices and laughter. When I round the corner, I see Meri standing near the low wall surrounding the playground. The apple I gave her earlier is on the ground, and four older teens are surrounding her.

The two guys in the group are leering at her and making comments that I can't quite hear. Then the girls give an irritated farewell. They roll their eyes at the boys, say something to them that makes the two start laughing, and then sashay off.

As soon as they're gone, the boys move even closer to Meri. This annoys me even more. Not only are they bullying her, but it looks like both of them have further maliciousness planned. Sure enough, one of them says something and tries to touch Meri's shoulder.

She shoves him off weakly and tries to clamber over the wall.

That's it. I've had enough of this abuse.

I start across the school lot toward the boys as they grab her waist and haul her back towards them. Her sobs are loud enough now that I can hear her, even if it is faint. She's actually fighting back, which surprises me because up until now, she's never bothered. "Hey! What do you think you're doing?"

The black-haired boy looks back at me and then to the auburn-haired one. Brunette sneers at me and shakes his head at the smaller boy.

When I come closer and ask again, the pale, black-haired guy finally answers. His voice is a little shaky, but it's more angry and defiant than anything else. "Nothing, man! Back off."

"Doesn't look like nothing," I retort, taking another step closer.

Brunette tightens his arm around Meri's waist, pulling her closer to him as she tries to elbow him.

Meri's hazel eyes are brimming up with tears, and I see them slide down her cheeks one after another. The plea in her eyes is obvious. She wants help, but she's too ashamed and afraid to ask. Her cheeks redden as I look at her, and she ducks her head, going immobile in Brunette's arms.

"Do you want to go with them?" I ask, even though I know the answer. The confirmation is necessary. Maybe her verbalization of the protest will make them back off without a fight. If not, I'm going to beat the two of them until they can't move. No one gets to treat anyone, girl or guy, like this. I'm sort of hoping they don't back off because then I can teach them a lesson.

You probably ought to call the cops. If you beat them up, you'll be the one facing assault charges, not them. My conscience murmurs. Well, the sensible part of me wins out again. I won't beat them up. I'll just get them arrested if they don't beat it.

Meri doesn't say no, but she shakes her head, still refusing to meet my gaze or the angry stare of the scrawny guy beside Brunette.

"Didn't think so. Let go of her now, dude," I demand, pointing at Brunette.