Chapter 4

Wolfkit arose earlier than normal that morning, awakening to the slight chirps of birds, whistling through the forest. An amber glow bathed the forest, as a sign that new leaf was approaching. Squirrels, rabbits, and mice had retreated from their dens to restock on nuts for the new season.

The small gray she-cat blinked the morning haziness from her emerald green eyes, and observed the happenings in the nursery. Smokekit remained curled up next to Ferndapple, and Feathershade's four younger kits lingered next to her belly. The previous night, a warrior named Lilycloud had joined the nursery, upon the insistence of the medicine cat, Lioneyes, and her mate, Stormpelt. The other queens had done their best to make the young cat feel welcome, though their efforts were a waste, she was a nervous wreck. The small, gray and white frame of the new queen was barely visible, given her distance from Wolfkit. The young she-cat couldn't wait for Lilycloud's kits to arrive, but that meant waiting five moons. She'd be apprenticed by then.

After a while, the sun hung higher in the sky, and the cats of SnowClan began to stir. Wolfkit whirled around as a loud yawn drifted through the air. Feathershade's daughter, Sorrelkit, had awaken, beginning to pad towards Wolfkit. Her fluffy, tortoiseshell fur gleamed in the dewy sunlight.

"Good morning!" Sorrelkit squeaked optimistically, gazing up at Wolfkit with her wide, blue eyes.

"Hello, Sorrelkit!" Wolfkit greeted her, turning the face the tiny cat. Sorrelkit was no more than half the size of Wolfit, with eyes just as big. Her fur was soft and downy, as silky as a feather. She gave of a warm, honey-like scent, and wore a grin on her face.

"Is Smokekit awake yet?" She chirped, her eyes glowing.

"No, he's still asleep." Wolfkit glanced behind her to see a sleeping Smokekit, his black fur rising and falling as he took deep, sleepy breaths.

"Aw foxdung!" Sorrelkit cursed, her shoulders drooping, "I wish he were awake..." Me too... Wolfkit thought. The entire night she had been awaiting Smokekit's response. Would he stay back with her, or would he continue?  All of the sudden, Sorrelkit's shape began to fade away, and her mew became softer,

"Wolfkit... Wolfkit..." The tiny kit's voice trailed off, as Wolfkit only saw blackness. The gray kit tried to scream, but her voice caught in her throat. She began to panic, sweat bedewing her brow. The blackness gave of no scent, sight, or feel, it just whirled around her. At that moment, a hazed gleam of light shone in the corner of Wolfkit's eye. Turning swiftly, she saw a familiar glow, with a faint shape in the middle. It was a cat, a small cat. It seemed to be cowering in sadness, shivers racking its body every few seconds. The cat was in a shaded area, branches swirling above its head. It was sitting on moss, propped against a tree. Gasping in horror  Wolfkit backed away from a light, shaking her head in fear. She tried and tried to scream, but the yowls her shoved down her throat, an invisible force suppressing them. The sad shape of a cat swirled around her, as the world began to reappear before her eyes...

Wolfkit blinked several times, a stunned Sorrelkit before her, along with a large, orange cat that she had little recognition of,

"A-Are you ok...?" The tortoiseshell kit stammered, stumbling backwards.

"Yes... I-I'm fine..." Wolfkit shivered, wondering why she had experienced this odd sensation again. Only four nights before had she experienced it for the first time.

"Y-You were shaking, and you fell over, I-I didn't know what to do... so I got Lioneyes..." The large orange tom dipped his head as Sorrelkit spoke his name.