Chapter 2

I start to wake and see the sun shining down on my face. I slowly get up from my bed and stretch while yawning. It seems to be a beautiful morning and I am in a really good mood today.

Heading down stairs I slip on my slippers, and head to the kitchen to get some breakfast. Putting a couple pieces of bread in the toaster I wait for my coffee to brew. After a couple minutes my toast pops up in the toaster and my coffee is done.

"Ah, perfect," I say as I grab everything to move to the table.

I sit down and start eating. As I am eating I become a little bored with the silence of the house, so I turn on the television. The moment the screen turned from black to color and movement of the pixels on the screen added to equation it was on the news channel.

A long banner at the bottom of the screen saying "Missing Rachel Grey. Please call if you know anything about her whereabouts."

"Typical," I take a sip of my coffee.

A news man then began to blabber about: "last seen Rachel Grey at her suburban house on November 15th, 2018-

"What was year really necessary? I think I know what year I live in," I comment on the news person.

"If you know anything about the disappearance of Rachel please call the news hot line or 911.  Any information would be helpful to the search for her."

"Oh, you won't be finding her anytime soon," I giggle to myself.

I turn off the television and quickly finish the remainder of my toast, and take a final sip of my coffee before heading back upstairs to get dressed. Deciding to wear a causal t-shirt and some jeans I head out for a walk. As I walk outside I am greeted by my many neighbors, then I proceed to walk down the street. After a couple minutes of walking around, I feel a vibration in my pants and it's my phone ringing. I quickly grab it out of my pocket and look at. It's my friend Tom that I haven't talked to in years. I answer it.

"Uh, hey Tom it's been awhile. What's up?" I say into the phone.

He seems to be sobbing and there's a moment before he can say anything.

"I'm so sorry for calling you while I'm like this. I didn't know who else to call," he managed to get.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"I wish..I wish I could, but my daughter, Rachel is missing," he tells me.

A sudden realization hits me. Something so big, so much bigger than anything else. I killed my friends daughter, I mean sure she needed to be set free of this cruel world, but I never thought she would be related to anyone. Am I guilty of what I did? No, I never will be. His daughter or not she needed to die. Simple as that.

"Hey, you still there?" His voice seems to be an echo in my head.

I come back to reality and pull myself together quickly.

"Yeah, yeah I am. Sorry that's just really shocking, it's all over the news," I try to sound concerned.

"Everyone is going all out, you know. With all dogs, detectives, random strangers helping me and my family out. Look, I need to meet up with you in person. I'll send you a text with all the information, okay?" He says in a hurried voice.

I agree to meet up with him, and the conversation ends. This is something like no other that has happened to me. I've never been faced with this before. They are going all out on this girl, she couldn't of been that special cold she of been? Some just random girl from some random friend I made in high school. It shouldn't change anything.

I check my messages and get a text moments after Tom and I talked on the phone. The text has information on where to go, what time and tiny things about directions.

"Looks like today is gonna be a long day," I mumble to myself as I head back home to take a shower and look a bit nicer than I do.

I walk back into my house, and head upstairs and head into my bathroom. I start to get undressed and turn on the shower. I let the water get a little hot, then I take the rest of my clothes off and step into the shower. I let the water wash away my stress, and anxiety I've been having, and relax in the warm environment.

A thought appears in my head while I am relaxing in the shower. Would killing Tom be the best thing to do. Maybe if he was dead he couldn't lead any thing to me and have me exposed. I rattled with that thought and set it aside for another time to pick apart.

Turning off the shower, and grabbing a towel, I wrap it around my waist. I walk to the mirror and rub off a small circle of steam from the water to see my face.

"Much better," I say. "Less suspicious looking," I grin.