prologue

prologue

THE wind was harsh, but soft. It caressed my cheeks gently, like a mother's touch. It felt comforting knowing that even though I was a pretty vile person( lounging on a rooftop at two in the morning waiting for some rich couple to arrive home so I could rob them was pretty vile) , I had at least someone comforting me. Even if it was just the wind. 

I began humming for myself in a desperate attempt to stall the evident boredom that plagued my mind. How long had I been out here? An hour, maybe two? 

I huffed out a breath, adjusted my position so my back rested against some ventilation shaft mounted on the roof.  My eyes involuntarily slid toward the moon, its full round shape seemingly blinking back at me.  

Then, the sound of a car. It disturbed the peace of the night, and awoke me from my daydreaming. I glanced over the roof of the building, saw that a shiny, black Royce had rolled up outside the posh townhouse. A pair stepped out, as the driver had stepped out and opened the door for them. The lady nodded her head in recognition, and my eyes zeroed in on her fur coat. Authentic fur coat. Some animal was forced to die for that. 

I scowled at them, from the darkness, as I prepared myself to leap over the edge of the building, to tumble down onto the streets and completely- 

"Well, hello there, Nightspark." Someone snarled, and I spun around, startled. Then, the initial surprise faded to something darker, a putrid hate that left a rotting taste in my mouth. 

"Blaze." I stated casually, hiding the racing of my heart. "Here to catch a criminal, are you?"

"Finally admitting how much of a scum you really are?" He scowled, took a step closer. His presence was intoxicating, the power of him hidden under a flexible spandex suit. 

"I would rather call myself a purifier." I argued, crossing my arms above my chest. A hint of irritation flickered in my eyes, hidden under the mask, as I heard the rich couple entering their townhouse. Entering their safety. If Blaze hadn't arrived they'd be unconscious and I'd be about ten grand richer. 

"Calling yourself a purifier doesn't justify your crimes, Spark. There's a hefty reward attached to your name, and I think that numerous charities would have a better use of it than you."

"They probably would." I swallowed, hard. "Doesn't mean I'll let myself get caught for it." 

I felt the warmth growing, the temperature rising. Beads of sweat ran down my forehead, and I fought the urge to wipe it. That'd be a mistake. I knew of his powers, I that there was a fire within him that ran rampant. I loved to tease it ,loved to lure out that unkept power so it consumed us both. 

"Don't you even try."  I backed away, until my feet rested in mid-air, a good foot away from the ledge of the roof. 

"Why are you doing this?" He questioned, and I saw how flames licked along his palms, illuminating the vast darkness around him. "You could be good, too." 

"You know what they say." I winked, and saw how anger descended upon his features. "If you can't beat em', join em'. Become the villain. Can't you feel it?" 

I laughed maniacally, and ricocheted in the empty night. 

"The irresistible temptation of being bad. Gray, don't you feel it?"

He stiffened, at the mention of his real name. 

"Who are yo-" But the question was left unanswered as I'd already vanished. 

Gray, or Blaze, swore. 

dedicated to @joecool123 because 1) I'd probably never have gotten interested in writing about villains/heroes otherwise and 2) I adore 'No Capes' ;) 

(PS.note written in 2019 — this book was written in 2017, so feel free to comment any typos so that i can go back and correct them. thanks! xo)