thirty five

thirty five 

I WOKE UP in brief moments, the aftermath of the fight in Polaris' tech lab only available to me in the form of small, quick memories of what had happened after I'd found out who Shade was. I didn't want to think about it, least of all know where he was taking me. What was most infuriating was the fact that I was saddened by the revelation. 

Shade - Ethan, should've meant absolutely nothing to me. I should've had no problem tossing him aside, despite what identity he had. But now everything had turned on its head, once again. I'd been set on going to jail for life, but now I was suddenly free. 

If the superheroes had anything decent for a brain, they'd throw me right back in jail. I was somewhat opposed to that idea, as one might understand. This was the reason I was relieved when we finally stopped moving, some kind of vehicle rolling to a stop. I had barely been conscious when my body was jostled inside, but I realized I was comfortable laying down in a backseat. Something soft was draped over my form, and through blurry eyes I saw the back of the front seat. 

When I tried moving, a seat belt tugged harshly against my stomach and kept me in place. At least the cuffs had been removed. 

The figure in the passenger seat stirred, looking back. I couldn't distinguish features clearly, but I did see it was a woman. 

"Do you think she's fully awake?" asked the woman, and it took a great deal of effort for my to try and make sense of the answer the driver left in return. Deciding that it wasn't worth my energy, I attempted to fall back asleep. It worked. 

When I awoke the next time, I was being carried through a bright parking lot. I heard the distant ding of an elevator, and the figure carrying me manoeuvred inside with great care, making sure my head didn't hit the side of the doors. 

I felt the familiar lurch in my stomach when we started ascending, and with some surprise I could feel my senses returning. Sight came first, which simplified my ability to process my surroundings. Noting the brunette woman in front of me, her back turned to me, I shifted.

"Hey, take it easy." said the person carrying me, and I looked up. 

Of course. Ethan's eyebrows were furrowed, his expression carefully guarded. A hint of worry crept through, visible in his disgustingly honest eyes. 

"Let me go." I managed, my throat scratchy and dry. The woman in front had turned around by now, but I was unable to recognise her. 

"You know I thought you were at least a little smart, but here you go and prove me wrong again. You were drugged with Lord knows what, and you're denying the help Ethan's so graciously offering you out of the kindness of his heart." The woman said, shaking her head. Ethan smiled. 

"I'm nice like that." It tugged at a memory I had, where we'd accompanied each other to the university campus after having the misfortune of sharing a bus. 

"At least let me try." I replied, my voice meek and quiet. Christ, I'd turned into a goddamn mouse. With some reluctance, Ethan let me go. With wobbly legs (and knees, and the rest goddamn parts of me) I flattened my hands against the elevator walls to regain some balance. 

This is an awfully tall building - or a shitty elevator.

Ethan was still glancing over me, worry creeping into his face when I swayed. The woman stared at me emotionlessly.