My mother stole a glance my way, "What were you thinking Adrianna? You looked like .. you looked like.."

"Shit—that's the word Mom", It was my Kuya who was now enjoying this with a croissant and coffee in front of him. My mother, on the other hand, shook her head.

"Har har! You are too cheeky for the morning kuya" I said, dabbed the napkin on my chin when I was finally done with my minuscule breakfast. I stood up but quickly froze when my mom's shrill voice echoed in the entire dining area

"Que Horror!" She said in disbelief, "And what is that you're wearing, Adrianna?"

I looked down at my faded worn-out boyfriend jeans, black tight top that clung to me with a long maroon vest that reached my thigh and a white Stan smith. "That's such a question, Mom.", I said finding no fault or whatsoever in what I wore.

"Appearances! Appearances! Have you forgotten that, Dri?"
"Mom" I insisted, resisting another eye roll. If there's one thing I know about my mom was that she doesn't tolerate disrespect next to a fashion disaster. I sighed in exasperation, "It's OrSem. Wala namang media doon and—"
"No!" She exclaimed sternly. "Umakyat ka ulit, change and wear this", She gave me a huge paper bag na amoy balik bayan pa. I eyed it for a second, not knowing what she's trying to prove, my face was rippled of confusion.

"Mom" I turned to my brother for a little help but he could only shrug at my current predicament. So much for Team Sobreviñas. I sighed, "Fine but I'll do it because I love you"

My mother, still beauty as the day she was crowned with little crow's feet visible up, turned her head and stared at me. Her voice lowering as she said, "And I, for you, Dri. Please hija" She insisted "I just want the best for my beautiful girl"

I cocked my head, thinking this over. Frankly, I don't know what to make out of it. My mother always had her way, and if not, she makes sure to prove you wrong. And that would be a hassle I don't want to linger on. I might be late for OrSem or caught the only tail-end of OrSem by the time this argument settled. And that was that.

Biting the inside of my cheek, I said, my voice laced of frustration as I grabbed on the paper bag. "Fine" Maybe we could agree to disagree a little bit later but for now, I got matters in my hand.

When I came down, My kuya's low whistling was the first thing I heard. I looked down at my self, clad in a White Mango long sleeved mid-riff top, Zara high-waist Khaki Pants and Manolo Blahnik nude point shoes while holding a River Island Studded Clutch on my right. I smothered my hands over the non-existent creases of my pants.

"I don't know. Adrianna the Law Student or Adrianna the CEO. Can't decide. Pwede mo na palitan si Dad sa office"

I shot him a look that hopefully appeared shut up but I had to fight myself to not smile on my brother's retort. My mother stepped closer as she straighten my Kuya's tie and when turned her attention at me, she squeezed a bottle of hair serum between her hands then applied it at the ends of my hair.

Then she stepped back to look at me, a smile forming her lips, "Perfect!"
My mom lectured while I appeared cool and trying not to appear too sentimental. "Now,Elliot.. ihatid mo na si Dri"

My heart faltered in my chest. Pati ito ba naman? I waved it off, saying "I could drive myself, Mom"
"No. Dapat bongga ang entrance mo, Dri!" She clasped my hand between her, seemingly excited now but I, on the other hand, just felt that twist unfurled in my gut, "Pang Miss Universe, Miss World, Miss Inernational, Miss Supracontinental, Miss Extraterrestrial"