Chapter Two (Scarlett)

Chapter Two

Scarlett

"Scarlett!"

Scarlett groaned as she quickly dived onto the floor behind a set of beds. She was in Hobby Lobby with her mother and her sister. Her mother was asking persistent questions and attempting to talk her into one of the blind dates that she usually tried to get her to go on. If it was up to her mother then she'd already be married with at least two children already out of the way. She didn't want children as of right now, nor a husband. Maybe not even a boyfriend.

She was in her own situation of struggling to make it in the career path she'd chosen, which meant she didn't have too much time for any of it. Besides that her mother was of the belief that everyone in their family should be with a man that was in the magic community. Scarlett wasn't. She didn't want anything to do with the supposed magic community. She half didn't believe in it. The things her mother and sister did, sometimes seemed more like pulling tricks from the hat, than anything else.

She laid down flat on the floor, pushing aside the bed's dragging sheets to see if their footsteps were heading in her direction. She knew that this was childish in a sense, but she didn't care. Her mother was at it again. This time she had dragged the poor fellow along. He had made the mistake of being in Hobby Lobby at the same time as Ruby Johannsen. Ruby Johannsen didn't know how to take "no" for an answer.

"Ruby, it's fine really. I can wait until another-"

Scarlett listened quietly remaining on the floor. She was surrounded by the bed displays that were in this section of the store. Luckily there was carpet over here as part of the displays. She couldn't imagine pressing her cheek against the hardwood floor in a department store. Actually she could, if it meant avoiding another one of her mother's schemes to hook her up, which usually ended in disaster.

"No, Chad, you're going to meet my daughter. She's just perfect for you. I can see you two being best friends," she said firmly. "Scarlett, darling, come here I have someone I want you to meet."

Scarlett stayed where she was.

She had no intention on meeting the golden boy. She didn't see them being suitable in any manner. She was the opposite of him. Something more of a bookworm than anything else. She was a part-time librarian, secretary at a law firm, and a full-time artist. She didn't have time for him. Her mother and sister disapproved of her lifestyle but she didn't care. She was by no means anything like her vibrant, outgoing sister. Instead, she was a bit shy and kept to herself for the most part. She was outgoing with her friends and people she knew.

"Dammit, where is that girl-"

"Really it's fine," golden boy said, his voice almost pleading.

If Scarlett hadn't been in hiding, she'd have been tempted to snort. This was typical. Once her mother got an idea into her head, then it stuck. She truly believed that they would be suited. Knowing her mother's taste in the perfect man for her daughters, she had no doubt whatsoever that the golden boy had an impeccable lineage from the magical community. He was probably a wizard or something along those lines.

Crawling completely under the bed, Scarlett looked from the slightly parted sheets to the two of them. Golden boy was tall. Probably somewhere around six foot even. He had honey blonde hair with bright silver eyes. He was of a tan complex, and Scarlett admitted, good looking. He had to be from some perfect family line in order for her mother to be this desperate for the two of them to meet.

She groaned inwardly thinking of Emerald. Emmy was lucky she had a steady boyfriend that fit her mother's standards. Otherwise, she'd be going through the same horrors that Scarlett was. All because her mother wanted to create a family line of nothing but pure magic. What utter bullshit? Scarlett would never agree with that.