Chapter 12 - Blue

Start from the beginning

She stares at me, her blue eyes wide and her mouth open slightly. She's stunned. Slowly, gently, she holds her hand out to me. Asking me without speaking.

I place my hand in hers, and her fingers wrap around mine, and she holds it there. I notice how warm her hand it.

"Can I trust you, Bart?" She whispers into the silence of the kitchen.

I don't hesitate to whisper back, "Yes."

"I need to show you something." She doesn't let go of my hand as she leads me outside. We turn off into the forest, entering deep into the greenery. I only focus on her as continue on farther.

She suddenly stops when we come to little dirt clearing. She faces me, gripping my hand tightly.

"Stay right here, and please, don't panic." She lets go and walks out into the clearing. I watch her, wondering what she's going to do.

She keeps her back to me. She breathes quietly for a moment, just standing in the middle of the clearing. Then slowly, she kneels down and places her hands against the dirt.

"Nova?" I say. What is she doing? She glances back at me, but doesn't move.

I watch as the ground begins glowing red and orange, and she stands up with her hands open downwards. I watch the lava move upwards in clumpy spirals. She moves her hand elegantly, moving the lava. A small patch of it is still lingers on the ground in front of her feet. She moves her hands, the lava pooling upwards and into a small sphere of molten rock. Her hands hover over it for a moment before she throws it to the ground.

Again she kneels and touches more earth. Slowly, a large area of ground turns to lava. She moves around it the pool of heat, but I watch her body move. She's careful, and elegant. Her hands begin to push at the air, and the pool of lava moves with the motions. Slowly, the lava begins lapping back and forth. With a sudden movement of Nova's hands, the lava flares ten feet upwards into the sky. A flash of panic runs through me as I watch the lava begin falling downwards towards Nova, but she twists her hands upwards and outwards. The lava stops midair, the heat sucking away from it like a vacuum. The lava cools to black rock.

Nova turns around, a black rock tidal wave frozen behind her like a backdrop. She looks up at me, with a tired, cautious expression. I stare back at her.

"You can make and control lava?" I ask, stunned.

"Yes," she speaks softly, watching me with a warily expression. Looking at me, as if she was afraid.

"Nova, that's so crash!" I grin, and walk up to her. She stares at me, bewildered by my reaction.

"You're... you're not scared?" She asks softly.

"Scared? No, of course not! This is amazing, Nova." I tell her, beaming up at her. She still seems unsure.

"Why didn't you say you could do this before?" I ask, her bright blue eyes rest on me.

"Because, I was afraid. I've been rejected and used and hated so many times I just... I just couldn't bear it again if you hated me too, Bart..." She trails off, but keeps her eyes on me.

"Nova, I would never hate you. We all can do some amazing things, and there are consequences too. I can run as fast as lightning, but that can be dangerous sometimes..." I remember Wally, and my throat begin closing up, but I continue on.

"Jaime and Remy live with their Scarabs, but they can also be put on mode. Nova, there's nothing for you to fear from us. You look like you're the most control person out of all of us." I smile reassuringly at her.

Her face is blank and she stares at me for a moment. Then, a small smile settles on her lips.

"Bart, thank you. For everything." She whispers.

"No problem. Now, it's my turn to show you what I can do." I grin, holding out my hand like she did before. She looks at it for a moment, before taking it.

I sling her arm over my shoulders, then sweep her off her feet. She lets out a gasp of surprise. I grin at her as I hold her bridal style.

"Ready?" I ask.

Her grip tightens around my neck, and she smiles at me.

"Ready."

I take off through the forest, holding the warm alien girl in my arms as her laugh is thrown into the wind.

* * *

Whelp, I'm sailing away on the Noart ship and I am never coming back. Bye!

—RoseandPaper