Chapter 35: Cash Me Out

Start from the beginning

"In that case, I better keep writing," Krystal said happily, reaching for the computer's keyboard. Her fingers slipped as she took the keyboard away from Amber and she accidentally switched internet browser tabs from her story to Amber's weibo. "Whoops, sorry," Krystal apologized, starting to switch back to the proper tab, but Amber held up a hand to stop her.

"Wait, leave it," Amber said. Her eyes were glued to the screen, which was fully written in Chinese. Krystal couldn't read a single word and stared at Amber in confusion.

"Huh? What's up?" Krystal asked.

Amber reached for the mouse and keyboard and began typing. "Uh, nothing maybe. There's a story trending about Vic-unnie."

"Ooooh, what's it say?" Krystal looked at the unreadable Chinese text eagerly. Victoria was starting to become more and more popular in China lately, and Krystal couldn't be happier for her leader-unnie. Victoria's popularity was well deserved in Krystal's opinion.

"Um... I think this is wrong..." Amber said slowly, her hands falling to her sides. There was an unusual look of disbelief in Amber's face that caused Krystal to feel alarmed. "It says that Vic-unnie is planning to terminate her contract with SM."

Krystal heard the words that Amber spoke, but she couldn't comprehend them. Within the last year, three Chinese members of EXO had already tried to terminate their contracts. Kris, Luhan, Tao... the names were almost taboo within the company. The lure of the Chinese entertainment industry was strong, and those three selfish cowards abandoned the company and the group members that had rocketed them to fame. But Victoria wasn't a selfish coward like the former EXO-M members, right?

Krystal looked to Amber who was still staring at her computer in disbelief. "She wouldn't do it, this is just a rumor," Amber mumbled. Krystal could sense the fear in Amber's voice. Amber was close to EXO, and every departure had been unexpected and painful. But if EXO's troubles were hard to deal with, Victoria's departure would be unbearable. Krystal quickly pulled Amber into a hug, trying to share Amber's pain between the both of them.

"It's a rumor," Krystal whispered into Amber's ear. She didn't feel very confident about her words, but she repeated them all the same. "It's just a rumor."

They watched Victoria's name chart higher and higher on the real time search engine in China, only making them feel worse. Krystal thought about Victoria, about what the older girl meant to her. Victoria was not just the leader of f(x), but a precious sister and a dear friend. Krystal could understand Victoria's reasons for wanting to return to China, and part of Krystal honestly wanted Victoria to go down this easier and more lucrative path, but where would this decision leave f(x)?

"How do we be f(x) without Victoria?" Krystal asked softly, unable to keep up her strong front any longer.

Amber turned to her with saddened eyes, unable to offer her any reassurance. "I don't know. I feel like we wouldn't be f(x) anymore."

Krystal nodded, feeling the same. "Should we call Vic-unnie and ask her about it?"

Amber nodded in agreement, but neither of them reached for their phones. They sat there, too scared to confirm a rumor that they thought might be true. Krystal felt ashamed for not having any faith in Victoria right now. The advice that Victoria and Luna had recently given her about staying positive and believing in her f(x) members suddenly went out the window.

In the midst of their silence, Amber's phone suddenly rang and startled them. Krystal moved for the phone more quickly than its owner, thinking that it was Victoria trying to contact them. But it was Luna's name on the display and Krystal answered it feeling slightly disappointed.