Chapter 2

March 2nd, 2010

6 years later

 “Hey, don’t get mad just because you lost!” he gloated, shoving more of my potato chips in his face.

“You cheated!”

“How did I cheat?! I beat you fair and square!” He retorted, looking at me incredulously.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms, trying to forget about his beautiful blues and that stupid cocky smile of his. He is just so perfect.

“Don’t be mad,” he said softly, poking me in the stomach. Like always, my heart started pounding harder and I found it hard to focus. I had the biggest crush on Matthew for a very long time, and I think I might even love him. But I’m only 14 years old; I have my whole life ahead of me. Also, he’s had more girlfriends than I can count on my fingers and toes. And we can’t forget the single most important thing: I’m black and he’s white.

This didn’t matter when we were younger without worries. We could play and be together without people constantly saying negative things about it. Things are much different now. I always think about going back in time, to where we were just a couple of kids who planned on getting married when we got old enough.

I had to stop thinking about this stuff.

But that’s hard to do because I love this boy.

“You wanna play again?” he asked, raising a dark eyebrow.

“Yeah, and I’ll beat your butt this time!” I said, snapping out of my thoughts and jumping back into reality.

“You kids hungry?” Mrs. Jameson asked me. We’ve grown impossibly closer since we moved in next door. In fact, both of our families were all really good friends. Our mothers were always going to little cafes downtown, finding new hobbies to do together, or watching their favorite shows together. The soap operas come on Tuesday nights, and they alternate houses where they watch them.

I loved the fact that my mom at least had one good friend. I know she has more from work and stuff, but Mrs. Jameson is a lovely lady, and I think their friendship is one of those rare ones that will last a very long time. Plus, I know it was kind of hard on my mom, moving all the way across the country. But our whole family has adjusted well.

“I’m starved!” Matthew said, throwing the controller on the ground. I laughed and followed behind him to the kitchen where Mrs. Jameson had sandwiches made for us with juice.

“Thank you,” I told her politely before taking a bite.

“Yeah, thanks mom,” Matthew said around a mouthful of ham and cheese. We both laughed at him.

“You’re welcome, honey,” she said directly to me only, touching my cheek briefly on her way out. “Oh Melanie, were you staying over for dinner tonight? I’m making pizza,” she said in a sing song voice.

“Yes!” Matthew exclaimed before I had the chance to answer her. I just grinned and shook my head. Did he say yes because he wanted the pizza? Or did he want me to stay over for dinner? Either way, I’d be more than happy to stay.

“Alright, I’m getting ready to run some errands, but I’ll be back later to cook,” she told us, leaving us alone in the big house. “Come lock the door, son. And behave,” she said sternly.

“Alright,” he answered, finishing off his sandwich.

I sat down at the table, drawing patterns in the wood. “Do you wanna keep playing the game?” I asked as he came back over from the front door. He was too busy on his phone; I don’t think he heard me.