Chapter Sixty Two - Blame It On the Peasants

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Give 'em the old three ring circus

Stun and stagger 'em

When you're in trouble, go into your dance

Though you are stiffer than a girder

They'll let you get away with murder

Razzle dazzle 'em

And you've got a romance

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Our dearest apologies Sir Trymond," I said as Nobleman Trymond along with his wife and Sue walked into the king's study with somber expressions and bloodshot eyes. "I know that this is a rough time for all of you, but we must talk to all of you to try and figure out who would commit such a crime."

Nobleman Trymond bowed while his wife and Sue curtsied before me and the king. Once the king nodded in acknowledgement the trio sat down in the chairs in front of the king's desk.

"We understand, Your Highness," Sir Trymond replied.

The king sat down at his chair behind his desk and I took a seat beside him to start writing down the interrogation.

"Let's get started, shall we?" The king asked, but it was no question. "I'm going to ask a question and I want you all to reply one by one, starting with Lord Trymond, then Lady Trymond, and then Lady Sue." The trio nodded their heads in understanding.

"Where were you and what were you doing at the time of Daniel's murder?"

"I was sleeping in my bed," Lord Trymond replied.

"As was I, next to my husband," Replied Lady Trymond.

"I was sleeping as well, in the castle actually, since we had just gotten here Sunday evening," Sue said.

I wrote all of this down and looked over at the king when I was done writing so that he would know he could continue questioning them. He seemed to believe the trio. They all seemed distraught with his death so I doubt any of them could have killed their sons themselves.

"Is there anyone who would be out to get your family?"

"Not that I know of, Your Majesty. We are well liked throughout the nobles. Then again, our son was killed in the peasant streets and you know how they can get jealous of how well off we are. I suspect it was a peasant," Lord Trymond replied. My hand clenched around the quill I was holding. Why did everyone automatically suspect that a peasant did such a crime? Perhaps it was a noble who set it up to make it look like a peasant did the crime?

"I agree with my husband," Lady Trymond said. Her voice was shaky and a few stray tears fell down her cheeks. I knew this wasn't a show that she was putting on. She truly loved her son and was mourning his sudden death.

"It's always those disgraceful peasants that cause harm," Sue said boldly. I looked up and quirked an eyebrow.

"If I may say so, Lady Sue, peasants aren't the only evil people that live in this world and not all peasants are evil. Some noblemen can be just as evil, if not more so, than some peasants," I said. My voice was stiff and void of any emotion, which was good otherwise it'd raise even more suspicion than it already was. All four heads turned to me with questioning looks on their faces. I turned my head towards the king and said, "You may continue."