14. Tainted Soul

The sky seemed to cry the fallen wizard for it refused to stop pouring down all its rage on school's grounds. Hogwarts assembled a battlefield instead of a school: The southwest Tower had collapsed at the army's merciless fury and the students, as well as teachers' efforts of protecting their lives; smoke was barely visible among the thick rain, but it lingered by the Entrance Hall, casting a destructive aura around the place. Albus Dumbledore's lifeless body hovered in the air as the mass of crying students, staff and remaining teachers, guided him with their wands, the Levitating Spell, supporting the old Wizard's weight effortlessly. It was silent as they marched toward the White Tomb by the black lake - it had been Hermione who suggested burying him there, she wasn't quite sure why she had suggested it, but the words seemed to roll from her tongue faster than she could grasp them.

Ariana had ordered the army to retreat the moment her brother's body fell pale and limp to the ground: Her expressions mirrored shock, anger and regret. The woman had fled as well, throwing Tom a murderous look before disappearing in a mist of darkness. Hermione was trailing further behind the line, twirling the Elder Wand thoughtfully in her hand; she could sense someone's presence behind her, and after briefly glancing over her shoulder, she saw Tom Riddle walking along with a sobbing Madam Fuchsia, though he looked reluctant and his face was neutral of any emotion. As if sensing her stare, his dark eyes shot toward her and she quickly glanced away, gulping down her sobs as Dumbledore's body came to her view instead.

During his funeral, directly after Dippet gave his eulogy, Albus' body was encased in bright white flames that gave off smoke in strange patterns, and Hermione thought she saw the form of a phoenix fly out of the blaze. When it subsided, Dumbledore was closed in this tomb.

"What a great loss we have suffered, along with many unfortunate others..." mumbled the Headmaster. "Let it not be in vain."

Armando Dippet's final words rang and swirled in Hermione's head that night in the Great Hall -for security purposes, all students would be sleeping in their sleeping bags under the constant vigilance of the staff and Prefects, as well as Head Boy and Girl - Let it not be in vain.

"...Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," Dippet added to Tom before walking out. The Slytherin nodded casually, his eyes wandering around the room blankly. "Send word with one of the ghosts."

Hermione shuddered. All around her, people started crying over their friend's deaths, and Dumbledore's as well, erupting into a swarm of mumbles, and angry whispers.

"I'm not staying in this school for even one more day, I'm going home tomorrow and never coming back," said a Hufflepuff fifth year, whose hair was all dishevelled and whose face was smeared in black. His robes were tore at the ends, like Penelope's, and he had a small burn on his hand.

"You're right. My parents didn't want me to return after that Ravenclaw's death... Mary, was it?" said another.

"Does not matter...this school isn't safe anymore." A girl popped in.

Hermione groaned and turned around on her sleeping bag, shielding her ears with her pillow. The candles all went out at once. She saw Tom fiddling with his ring as he sat by the door, a weird thoughtful look in his face. The only light now came from the silvery ghosts, who were drifting about, talking seriously amongst each other or sobbing uncontrollably by the corners. The enchanted ceiling, which, unlike the sky outside, was scattered with stars, but the destructive rain could still be heard, hitting the castle like bullets.

Hermione lingered her warm, tear stained eyes on Tom once more: he was shifting uncomfortably, his eyes glued to the dirty floor. She had never seen him in such untidy state, and wondered if it had anything to do with the fact that the Wizard he despised the most had given his life to save him.

Tom had been at the very back at Dumbledore's funeral, lips pressed into a thin line and a blank expression plastered on his pale face. Hermione wasn't sure of what he was feeling (if he was feeling anything at all); she had approached him by the tree he had been leaning on, as Madam Fuchsia cried her last words out to the dead Transfiguration Teacher, but Tom simply shrugged her off, making his way to the castle with a scowl.

Once every hour, a teacher would reappear in the Hall to check that everything was quiet. Around three in the morning, when many students had finally fallen asleep, Professor Dippet came in. Hermione watched him looking around for Tom, who had been prowling between the sleeping bags, telling people off for talking and ordering them to sleep. Riddle was only a short way away from Hermione, who quickly pretended to be asleep as Dippet's footsteps drew nearer.

"Headmaster, is everything in order?" she heard Tom ask.

"I'm afraid so, my dear boy...I think Ariana Dumbledore's army has retreated, though I fear not for long." The feeble man sighed and Hermione could almost imagine him, scratching his long beard with a troubled look. "Unfortunately Tom, we'll have to send all students back home. The Ministry will have to come and evaluate the situation... the school will have to be closed and repaired..."

There was silence for a few moments and Hermione wondered if both wizards had retreated, but the sound of someone clearing their throat proved her thoughts wrong, and not too longer after, Tom spoke in a tiny whisper.

"That means I will be sent back to that-to the Orphanage?"

"Yes, I'm afraid so Tom... It is your home after all--"

"That place is no home."

"You'll be eighteen in no time Tom...find a good job, perhaps at the Ministry... you're a very skilled Wizard. You'll leave the Orphanage in no time."

"Sir, if I may---I'd like to return to Hogwarts...To be a teacher here."

"A teacher you say?" Hermione peeked through her sleeping bag, observing Dippet's contorted face, in deep thought clearly, as he looked at Tom. "I don't know Tom, you're still very young-"

"But like you said sir, I'm very skilled."

Dippet glanced around and Hermione quickly laid her head back down, closing her eyes shut. She heard a tiny murmur and retreating steps; Tom and Dippet were no longer by her side but walking around the hall as they chatted in silent whispers.

She thought back to the Headmaster's words; they would all be leaving Hogwarts, the school would be closed. She decided she would owl Demophilus and Bertha Williams the next day, and ask them to stay for a while, at least until she finds a job and a place to stay by herself. Glancing back at the Enchanted Ceiling with a deep sigh, Hermione slowly fell asleep.