O2. Meeting The Serpent

Hermione stood in line with the new first years, fidgeting nervously at her blond and curly hair. The moment she stepped foot at the school, Professor Dumbledore had told her to join the first years so she could be sorted as well. 

It had been a moment of daze for Hermione, being in the presence of her once deceased Headmaster. She didn't dare look up at the professors, peering down at them – especially her - in wonder. She just stood there and awaited her fate. 

"I'm going to be in Gryffindor. My entire family has been." A boy's voice says, as proud as one can be.
"I hope I am too, "another hopeful voice says " but mostly my family's in Hufflepuff. I mean, it's fine, but Gryffindor is where all the great are. "

"I wish I was brave enough to be in Gryffindor, " a girl says with a sigh. "But it's so obvious I'm going to be in Ravenclaw. Honestly, it's said the first thing my mum said when I was born was 'she's going to be a Ravenclaw'. She even called me Rowena. It's absolutely dreadful. I suppose it could be worse; I could be in Slytherin. " She says in disgust. There are several murmurs of agreement.

Professor Dumbledore approaches the front of the stage, and the moment he does so, the noises erupting from the four long tables, come to an abrupt stop. 

"Let the sorting begin ", he says, his voice magically magnified, with a kind smile. He walked toward the back and quickly returned, carrying in his hand, what Hermione instantly recognized as the Sorting Hat. 

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty, but don't judge on what you see, I'll eat myself if you can find a smarter hat than me

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty, but don't judge on what you see, I'll eat myself if you can find a smarter hat than me." It said as it jittered contently in Dumbledore's hands. Then a song started playing in the background and the hat began to sing.

The air filled with great Nostalgia as the Great Hall exploded in roars of applauses and whistling. The Headmaster rose from his seat and nodded at Dumbledore, signaling it was time. "This year we are to welcome a new student who will begin her sixth year with us at Hogwarts School," the Professor said, smiling kindly at the curious pupils. "Please be kind and welcoming."

"Lockhart, Hermione! "

Carefully walking toward the stall, she kept her eyes glued to the floor. Her entire body began to shake and she felt even more nervous now, than she did all those years ago when sorted for the first time. The old, worn out cloth slips over her eyes. Suddenly, rather than the twinkling stars and the bright, curious eyes of students, her vision only sees a blank wall.

An easy head, I see. Witty, one of a kind, level-minded, creative...yes, this is a clear one. Such bravery, you would do well in Gryffindor, my dear.
No! She commanded the hat. The hat waits in silence, reading her thoughts. Hermione thought about how badly she wanted to be sorted into Slytherin, even though it was a complete and absolute lie. But being in Slytherin meant being closer to Tom Riddle, which could help in her mission. I don't think that that House would suit you dear, the hat mumbled. I know just what to do with you.