Chapter 13

Park had managed to gain my attention. I listened to his smooth voice as he spoke, interested in everything he had to say.

"I was 28. It wasn't my first bodyguard job, but it was my first high profile one. My entire team and I were put on a floor in a private hospital to keep one of the patients there safe. One night, there was a huge snowstorm and we were all trapped in the hospital. It was okay for the first few hours, but then there was a breech in security. Apparently, someone had been hiding out in the vents. They started eliminating people from my team, silently. I had been with Vanessa, talking about our wedding, we were engaged, when I was hit in the back of the head.

"I blacked out. When I woke up, he was threatening to kill the patient. But Vanessa she...she stood in front of the patient and refused to let him die. I managed to undo my restraints and I pulled out my gun. He used Vanessa as a shield and told me if I wanted him, I would have to kill her first. I couldn't let him get away. I couldn't put the patient's life in danger. At the same time, Vanessa was my fiancee. I couldn't put her in danger either.

"I made a split second choice. I fired and she got hit in the stomach. It went through her and into him. He was so psycho, I don't know what was wrong with him. Even with a bullet in his stomach he still tried to kill the client. He stabbed the client with a needle and I had no other choice. I had to shoot him. In the head.

"I thought it would be over then, but he had a partner. His partner was so driven on vengeance that he went after Vanessa a week later. He cut the brakes on her car and she crashed into a tree. She was lucky enough to survive, but because of me she had to go through that in the first place. When I finally found him, I turned him into the police. The entire time we were together, he told me that I had murdered his best friend, and that he would murder whoever was closest to me," he finished with a far off look in his eye.

I looked up at him, letting his words sink in. I almost didn't know what to say. "Is that why you two broke up?" I managed to ask. Park nodded his head head with a sigh.

"I called off the engagement. I went to China for a few years. When I came back I kept on doing my job, but I was different. I always looked over my shoulder. I promised to not let myself get close to anyone else again. I didn't want to put them in any danger," Park confessed quietly.

"Then...was that kiss a mistake because you don't like me or....because you do?" I pressed on. Park was quiet a long time. Too long. I felt my heart jerk in my chest. So that's how it was. I sat up, shying away from his touch. I pulled myself to the other side of my bed, being careful of my legs. "Please Park...just..." I put a hand to my temple, a headache setting in from all the crying. Park stood up.

"If you need me, just shout," he said and then left, closing the door behind him. I collapsed back down onto my covers. I grabbed my phone and called the only person who I knew might answer.

"Hello?" Julie answered King's phone.

"Hey Julie! How's King? Is he awake?" I asked. I heard noise in the background.

"Yeah, he's awake and as annoying as ever. What's that Mr. King? Me? Call you annoying? No! I would never! It's the drugs, they're making you hallucinate," Julie soothed. I chuckled.

"Is this how you're spending your Christmas?" I asked sympathetically.

"Unfortunately, yes. What's up?"

"Well, I think I need to pay our President a visit. I have a few questions that have been plaguing my mind," I said.

"Hah! I'm guessing you need a ride then? Unless, you know, you're planning on walking here?" She asked. I gave a sarcastic laugh.