Chapter 12

The next few days, Dr. Sun and Park reconnected. Every time she stopped by my room, her and Park laughed and had a good time. They acted as if they never even broke up. I tried to sort through the swarm of feelings that had been running through me, but it was getting hard. On Christmas Eve, I was finally allowed to go back home. I was ordered to stay in a wheelchair and warned not to break my cast again.

Dr. Sun offered to take me home since she didn't have to work that day. Personally I thought it was a way for her to talk to Park. I was so relieved at the prospect of going home that I didn't even try to put up a fight. I just agreed. So, late afternoon on Christmas Eve, I was in Dr. Sun's car back to my loft.

"So how did you and Park meet?" I asked casually as we drove along. It was nearing rush hour and traffic was beginning to get heavy. Dr. Sun looked over at me, a smile forming on her dimpled face.

"Hmm, let me see...." she thought. There was one thing I liked about Dr. Sun, and it was that she was talkative. If I had even dared to ask Park such a question he would've become all moody again. "Well, when I was in my first year of residency, I worked with a high profile patient in the ER. He was an eye witness in a big court case, so people were always trying to kill him. He ended up hiring a tactical team to protect himself and the other doctors. Joonyoung happened to be on that team," she reflected as we came to a stoplight.

"Ahhh....was it love at first sight?" I wondered, testing the boundary before she started to shut me out.

"On my side it was. I thought he was so attractive, smart and such a gentleman. It took him a while to come around and open up to me," she said with a grin. Dr. Sun was actually really pretty and looked fairly young. She had sun tanned skin from living in Hawaii for most of her childhood, pretty brown eyes, dyed brown hair to match, dimpled cheeks, and a super slim figure. She reminded me of a surfer girl.

"How long did you guys date?" I continued on.

"Uhhh.....nine months and then he proposed to me. Oh! It was so magical! He was down on one knee, with this nervous smile on his face," Dr. Sun explained. I swallowed. They had been engaged? I felt my stomach twist as we drove. Park was already at the loft. Madison had called earlier and and asked that they go somewhere together.

With King in the hospital, I figured I was safe. We finally got back to my apartment and Dr. Sun helped me to the elevator. We rode it up and I unlocked my door when we reached it. The doctor was still chatting away, about her life in Hawaii for a while. I was mostly oblivious and didn't listen to her. The door swung open, I opened my mouth in surprise. Madison and Park were standing in the kitchen, awaiting our arrival.

There was a 'Get Well Soon' banner over the window and party balloons in the room. I noticed a cake on the island. "Surprise!" Madison cheered and Park popped open a bottle of champagne. I rolled my eyes jokingly as I was wheeled into the room.

"Madison...." I crossed my arms. I was touched that she would think of this, but I just wanted to give her a hard time. She shook her head innocently.

"This was Joonie's idea," she pointed her index finger at my ex-bodyguard. He kept his face blank, but I could've sworn I saw the corner of his lip twitch up. I put a hand over my chest, actually feeling surprised now. The moment when he kissed me flashed through my mind and I had to advert my eyes.

"You're both to blame here," I mumbled as Dr. Sun carted me over to the kitchen. I stared at the vanilla cake with strawberries over it.

"How lucky! I'll cut the cake!" Dr. Sun said and went over to the knife holder. Madison came over and gave me a hug.

"You wanna tell me what's been going on?" She asked quietly into my ear. I sighed in response.

"No, not really. In fact, I think it'd be nice if you stayed at a friend's house for a little while," I said and patted her back. She pulled away slightly.