Chapter 8: Questioning the Bait

Magnus's POV

I was in my father's Captains quarters. He called me down here, said he had something important to talk about. I've been in here for about an hour now and have no clue where he is.

Finally, after three hours of sitting in this stupid room, he walked in. He walked around his desk and sat across from me. He folded his hands together and rested his elbows on the desk top.

"So, Magnus, I have been thinking, and I believe you did a pretty descent job in completing your task in capturing our bait. It would have been a great job if you wouldn't have brought the extra, but never mind that, she may be useful." He sat up and leaned against the back of his chair. He crossed his legs and proceeded his lecture. "You have proved yourself to me and thats what matters. So as a reward for your excellent job well done, I am letting you have a week off of chief training, starting when we get back."

"Really?!? You would really do that?" I asked excited. I jumped straight out of my seat.

"Calm down Magnus. Thats not all I have to say." He said, waving his hands for me to sit down. Slowly I returned to my seat.

"Now, son, to prove yourself even more, I have another task for you." He stood up and paced back and forth. "You will now run the questionings of the bait. Ask them anything that may help us capture Berk. If they do not cooperate, do not hesitate to beat them. You are to go attend them right now, up on the main deck. Do you understand, boy?" He sat back down and stared daggers at me.

"Yes, I-uh-I understand, father." I said and rushed out the room.

The last thing I want to do is hold the questionings. I don't think I could stand seeing any of those kids hurt. But, nevertheless, I must prove myself. Maybe father will finally let me go.

I arrived up on deck to lead this stupid questioning. The four captives had ropes around their ankles and wrist, a guard holding each one. I walked up to them and looked each one in the eyes. The oldest, I believe his name is Aaron, had his head hung low. He looked like he hasn't slept in days. One of the twins, the girl, looked like she was in pretty bad shape. Just by looking at her I could hardly believe she was still standing.

"Okay, you four are going to have to help me out here." I announced, pacing in front of them. "I honestly want to be here just as much as you do, but if you just answer a few simple questions, no pain will be inflected and the quicker I leave." I stopped in front of the eldest boy.

"You, what is your name, Haddock?" I asked, tapping the bottom of his chin. I waited a little while, but he did not answer. "Your name Haddock! What is it?" I asked again, but still no reply. So I obeyed fathers orders. I pulled my dagger out and smacked him right in between the eyes with the bottom of the hilt. Instantly he became slack and his guard hauled him off to a room.

"How about you, will you answer any of my questions? Tell me, what is your name?" I asked the next person in line. The short red head who was our extra bait.

"I've told you before. I am Pandora Benson, daughter of Raul Benson Chief of-"

"Yes, I could care less what he is chief of my dear. What about Berk? What can you tell me about it?" I asked stopping in front of her. I leaned down so I was face to face with her.

"I won't tell you anything about Berk!" She yelled before spitting in my face. I took the hilt of my dagger and smacked her across the face with it. She fell to her knees.

"Foolish mistake girl, spitting in the face of a heir. Yes, I too am the son of a chief."

I motioned for the guard to bring her back to her feet. She unsteadily stood and then I saw something that scared me. Blood, slowly it ran from the corner of her mouth. At the sight of it I ran. I can't believe I had just become as cruel as my father. That person back there wasn't me! I'm not like that!

Soon I reached my room on the boat and sunk to my knees. I am not that kind of person and I never will be again.

My father barged in the room, dagger in hand. Two guards followed behind him. He picked me up by the collar of my shirt and tossed me on the bed.

"I am so ashamed of you! How dare you run at the slightest drop of blood! You are a disgrace! A failure!" He barked out. With every word he got closer to me, slowly filling me with fear. "How dare you bear a name as great as Magnus! You are not full of greatness! You know nothing of greatness!"

I leaned back against the bed, trying to move away from him, but it was no use. I slammed my eyes shut and prepared for the worst. I felt an amazing amount of pain in my left cheek and then felt something running down my face, like tears, but I knew I wasn't crying. I opened my eyes and lifted a hand to coved my new wound. My own father had cut me with his dagger.

"Are you happy now father! Happy that you have gave me a scar like yours! You always wanted me to be like you! I guess I need to look like you too!" I yelled back, pressing my hand harder to my cheek. My father stormed out of the room, probably satisfied with his work. 

Langston came in the room, his arms full of cloths and bandages. He patched me up. I looked in his eyes and for the first time saw sadness built in them.

"Why don't I tell you a story. A story you have been dying to hear forever now. The one you weren't suppose to hear until you were 19." He said. I was so surprised, I was speechless. And so he started the story I have waited my whole life to hear.
__________________________
Author's Note:
So for anyone who didn't catch on, the name Magnus means greatness so that was what all that ranting was about.

Also I would like to ask you guys, What would you guys like to see more of in this story? Do you want more sections from certain POVs, more action, or what? Now I know everyone wants more Hiccstrid, thats kind of what we are built on and don't worry there will be. Just let me know what you would like to see more of in this story.