Chapter 7: Broken and Hurt

Astrid's POV

"Hiccup, we've been on Dragons Edge for three days. I thought we were going back on the first day." I asked confused.

"We were Astrid, but I... I couldn't go back to Berk without them... To see all those villagers look at my failure. I can't handle that. And I couldn't walk into our house and not hear the familiar sounds of Aaron and Hayden fighting or not see Abbey running around the house. Its unbearable to just think about it, Astrid. I just... I miss them so much." Tears started to slowly stream  down his face. He hung his head low and put his head in his hands. I hate seeing him like this; its heartbreaking.

"I miss them so much, Astrid." He sobbed harder. I walked over to him and sat down beside him. I took his head in my hands and turn his face to look at me.

"Hiccup, you need to be strong for them. And for me... You know I can't stand to see you like this. This is hard for me too. I really need you now." I said, trying to comfort him. I've always been the stronger one of us, but even I can't handle this.

"I am trying Astrid. But, someone took our kids! Whoever it is, is going to pay. They will pay for taking them, for breaking me down and tearing me apart!" He exclaimed, letting his head fall back into his hands. He sobbed harder.Teardrops ran off his checks, splattering across his drawing of the kids and I, staining it.

"Its okay Hiccup, they are going to be okay." I reassured. Seeing him like this brought tears to my own eyes. I swallowed hard to try and get rid of the lump welling up in throat. "Come here with me, will you?"

Reluctantly, he stood up from the chair and followed me. I dragged him down to the beach. I sat him down and then sat beside him.

"When you look out there, at the ocean, what do you see?" I asked, pulling my knees up to my chest.

"I... I see a vast expansion of water. Always moving, always changing... I can see the moon's reflection..."

"Mm-hmm, what else? What do you see when you look in the water?" He scooted forward and looked down.

"I see my reflection. Or what should be my reflection. Just looks like a broken man staring at the water." I scooted up beside him and looked down in the water too.

"Yes, so like the moon, you can see your reflection in the water. The only difference is that the moon is full and bright, you are dull and broken." I waved my hand through the water, making ripples. "You need to keep moving like the ocean's waters, you need to be strong like its currents."

"When did you get so inspirational, Astrid?" He asked jokingly. I slightly punched him in the shoulder.

"Don't ruin it. We were having a life changing moment." He smiled and I felt so much better. I haven't seen a smile or even the start of one creep across his face in days.

"I just don't think I can get over this...They are gone." I thought he was going to get all sad again so I did the only thing I could think of. I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him. He settled his face on my shoulder and wrapped his own arms around me.

I don't know how long we stayed like that. Seconds, minutes, hours? I have no clue. But it didn't matter. All that mattered was that we were together, getting through this hard time. We will find the kids and save them. No matter what it takes, as long as we're together.
---------------------------------------------
Hayden POV

The men on the ship come and check on us every now and then. They finally un-gagged us and untied us, but if they need to move us, they tie us right back up. We have been on this ship for three days and we've only been fed once.

We are all in a dark room that was just light enough for us to see each other across the room. There is one bed in the right corner and two chairs in the middle of the room.

When daylight comes, the men tie us up and take us up on deck. They ask us questions about Berk and if we don't answer, they beat us. We all come out full of bruises, but me and Aaron get the worst of it.

I looked across the room at Aaron. I've never seen him so useless. He just sits in the corner of the room, his head hung low, and Pandora tries to comfort him, but he never responds. He hasn't said one word since we've been on this ship.

Then I looked at Abbey. She was curled up in the only bed in the room. We all agreed that she should have it, she had been beaten pretty hard yesterday. I got up from my spot on the floor and pulled a chair beside the bed. I thought she was sleeping, but as soon as I sat down her blue eyes looked up at me.

"How are you doing, Abbey?" I whispered. She stared at me for a little while before answering.

"I'm... Okay." She whispered back, barely even audible. Her voice was raspy and it sounded like it took all her energy just to say those two words.

"Hayden?"

"Yeah, Abbey?"

"Will... Will you... Lay down... With me like... We used to... When we were little?" She barely choked out, taking in sharp breaths after every other word.

"Sure, as long as you promise not to talk for the rest of the day."

She nodded her head and I slid in beside her. She curled up against me and laid her head on my chest. I wrapped an arm around her, just to insure she was there and that no one could get to her. Before I knew it, she was sound asleep and that made me feel a lot better. No one was ever hurting my sister again. Even though I may not be as strong as Aaron, I'm just the wimpy little stick, I will protect her. I will not let those men hurt her ever again.
__________________________
Authors Note:
Well I liked this chapter. There was some Hiccstrid and even some protective brother in it.