Chapter 1

"Father?"

Aaron looked up from his papers, his eyes taking a second to land on his daughter. She stood in the doorway, hands clasped behind her back, hair falling down around her shoulders in tight ringlets. Her dress cascaded to the floor in silk teal ripples. She wore a wide smile, her teeth shining like pearls.

"Do I look alright?" She asked, nerves biting at her voice.

"My goodness," Her father said, standing and starting to make his way around his desk. "You look absolutely magnificent."

Theodosia bit her lip. "Truly?"

"Truly."

"I was a bit worried about the curls. I don't want to look too childish..."

"On the contrary. I think you look just like the beautiful young woman you are."

Theodosia smiled. "You're prone to flattery."

"I like to think of that as a strength."

Theodosia stepped fully into the room, sitting in one of the overstuffed arm chairs.

"What time are you leaving?" Her father asked, taking his seat at his desk once again.

"An hour or so. I thought I'd eat a bit before leaving- Balls are lovely, but the dancing can make me feel a bit faint and the waiter's samples are so small."

Her father smiled. "Are you excited for this one?"

"There's nothing much to be excited for."

"Lots of boys will be coming home from school..."

Theodosia wrinkled her nose. "No thank you."

"Don't wrinkle your nose like that, it's not lady like." But her father was smiling, so Theodosia smiled back.

"Do you have a lot of work to do?" Theodosia asked, her eyes scanning her father's papers. They were carefully organized as always, each set of documents placed in their own little pile, a quill and ink sitting to his side.

"When don't I?" Her father paused, his eyes quickly scanning the paper in front of him. "No, I wouldn't say I have too much. Why?"

"I just might be out late, so I wouldn't be here to remind you to get your rest."

"I'm perfectly capable of reminding myself to get my rest, Theodosia. I am a full grown man."

"So I believe," Theodosia said, standing. "I'd better head to the kitchen if I want Margaret to cook me something and leave enough time for eating it."

Her father tapped the side of his forehead. "Good plan."

Theodosia paused in the door, lightly running her hands over her skirt. "I'll see you in the morning."

"Don't forget to smile at the ball- you only have one chance to make a good first impression."

"I know father."

"Goodnight, Theodosia." She could hear the smile in her father's voice.

"Goodnight, Father."

- - - - -

Martha came to pick up Theodosia an hour and a half later. Theodosia had been waiting by the door, nervously watching as the second hand on their grandfather clock made their way around the circle again and again.

"What took you so long?" Theodosia asked as their driver closed the door behind her. "I was getting nervous you had forgotten about me all together."