Chapter 20

It has been a week since my pregnancy announcement and my father was still ignoring and avoiding me, I had tried my best to initiate a few  conversations with him, but he wouldn't acknowledge me and I'd end up feeling like crap and getting upset.

I was having a quiet afternoon shift at the diner when Nick came in to visit me.

I followed him to one of the back booths and slid in the opposite side.

He was in a good mood. A total opposite to how I was feeling.

I gave him a tight smile and hoped that he wouldn't pick up on my funk.

He reached out and took my hands in his.

"Hey. You okay?"

Yeah right

I nodded. "Yeah. I'm fine. Just feeling a little sick."

It wasn't a total lie. My stomach was feeling queasy and my body was tense from stress. But morning sickness was not the culprit this time.

He watched me for a moment, I know he was worried about me. I should be grateful to have such a caring, attentive boyfriend. But not today. I was not in the mood.

"I'm fine Nick!" I snapped.

He flinched at my tone and I felt like a bitch but then didn't bother to apologize which made me feel more horrible.

He cleared his throat. "Ah. Anyways. I bought you a prom ticket."

I frowned. "Why?" I asked quietly.

He looked at me with confusion. "I just assumed that you'd be coming with me to prom."

I pulled my hands away from his and tucked them in my lap and a flash of hurt came across his gorgeous face.

"Why didn't you ask me first before buying me a ticket?"

"I just assumed that - "

" - You should've ask Nick!"

His eyes widen at my out burst.

"I...Julie...I'm sorry."

"What if I can't make it to your prom Nick? You just wasted your money for nothing."

His eyes turned dark with anger. "What're you saying Julie?" He asked calmly.

"I'm not going to your prom Nick. That's what I'm saying. Go get a refund or take someone else." I said then slid out of the booth, too consumed with my anger to notice his hurt look.

I refilled my customers coffee and didn't watch him leave.

It wasn't until half an hour later that I felt remorseful and stupid and guilty. I locked myself in the restroom and cried into some paper towels. What did I do? Why was I acting like this?

I just took all of my frustrations with my dad out on Nick. The last person I ever wanted to hurt. I need to go and see him once my shift ended and apologize. No. Beg for his forgiveness. I cried some more before grabbing some toilet paper to blow my nose, I then splashed water on my face.

Dad sent word with another waitress that I had to work until closing time. I held back more tears as I nodded then continued working. I know I should call Nick and tell him that I'll be staying back but I didn't see his car outside and knew he was still pissed and hurt. So I decided that I'd give him a day to cool off before seeing him.

I got home exhausted even though I had a pretty slow afternoon. I ate, showered then went to bed, bidding good night to my little one.