Chapter 17

All week I felt sick and was in total denial, even though I was tossing my cookies every morning and felt nauseous throughout the day. But it was work that was really testing my stomach. As soon as I would walk through the door, the assault of fried food would turn my stomach and I would find myself hugging the toilet bowl.

I was so glad that Nick had decided to go to spring break or he would have definitely notice something was up and put two and two together.

So once the week was up, I had finally made a decision to ask for help.

*    *    *

I was at Nick's Monday afternoon watching a movie with him. He had returned that morning much to my surprise and happiness. He didn't say why he came back early and I didn't ask. I trusted him and didn't want to plant that seed of jealousy and ruin our relationship just when it had started.

"Hello? I'm home."

"We're in here mom." Nick called out.

Carol walked in carrying shopping bags.

"Nicky can you grab the rest of the bags please. Hi Julie."

"Hi Carol. Do you need me to grab one of those?"

"Please."

I took a bag and followed her to the kitchen and helped her unpack. Nick dropped two more bags on the counter then went back out to the car.

"Can I talk to you alone."

"What's the matter honey?"

"I'd rather not say in front of Nick."

"Okay honey. I'll send him on an errand."

Nick came in with the last of the bags. "Nicky honey. Can you top my car up please? There's some money in my purse."

"Sure mom. You coming Jules?"

"You go ahead. I'll help your mom unpack the groceries."

"Okay." He gave me a kiss then collected the money and the keys then left.

We made quick work with unpacking and putting away then Carol made some tea and placed some of her homemade cookies on a plate.

"Lets go out to the front porch, there's a nice breeze blowing."

She handed me my tea and gestured me to follow.

We sat in silence. I think she knew I needed a moment to gather my thoughts.

I placed my tea down and clasped my hands together in my lap.

"I need your help."

"Of course I'll help you honey. What do you need?"

I took a breath. "I...I...I think I might be pregnant Carol. And I need...can you buy me a test kit? I can't buy it because word will immediately get back to my dad and he'll totally flip."

She looked at me with mixed emotions then finally nodded. "Of course sweetheart." She answered then took my hands. "But why don't you talk to your mom about this?"

"I need to be sure first. If this turns out to be a false alarm, then they'll do everything in their power to make me stay away from Nick."

Carol nodded. "That will break both of your hearts."

I bit my bottom lip to stop the quiver. "What if I'm pregnant?" I whispered and felt myself tear up. "I don't know what to do Carol."

She came around and pulled me in and embraced me and I let myself cry on her shoulder.

"You have your family and you definitely have me and Nick."

After I settled down, Carol sent me up to her en-suite bathroom to wash up before Nick returned.

She was in the kitchen rinsing our mugs when I came downstairs. "I'm going to call your parents and let them know that I want you over for dinner tomorrow night. You can do the test then."

I gave her a small smile and nodded. "Thank you."

*    *    *

I had work all day Tuesday. Carol instructed me to eat dry crackers and drink water or black tea, she said that it will help with the nausea.

I still felt ill from smelling the fried oily foods but thank god I didn't throw up.

I was congratulated by our loyal older customers for our recent win and they spoke fondly on how they were proud of all the kids who excelled in any sports. I kindly thanked them and continued on with work.

I was surprised to find Carol waiting for me at the end of the day. "Hi. What're you doing here?"

"Nicky's caught up at work so he asked me to pick you up."

"Oh. Okay. Um, can we stop by my house? I'd like to have a shower before dinner."

"Sure sweetie."

I called mom ahead to let her know that Carol was bringing me home.

She was waiting on the porch steps when we arrived. I left Carol with mom while I went upstairs.

Fifteen minutes later, I was freshly showered and rubbing my jasmine scented lotion into my skin and brushing my hair.

Mom and Carol were in the family room drinking coffee and watching over the twins.

"Oh hi. That was quick." Carol said placing her mug down and standing.

"I didn't want keep you waiting."

I said goodbye to mom and my siblings and walked out with Carol. We were on the road before she spoke. "I left the test in my en-suite so Nicky won't find it if he's home already. Just go right in when you're ready."

I nodded. " Thank you Carol. "

"You're welcome Julie. And don't fret honey, it's normal to have these different emotions on top of your teenage hormones."

I gave her a tight smile and nodded.