Chapter 2

^^Lili

~~~~~20 years later~~~~~

LILI POV:

Flying. I was flying. Like the insects in the trees and birds in the sky. I was flying. 

My hands reached out and caught the next vine I saw, swinging all my weight with it. Arching my back I released my grip and landed lightly on a large branch, balancing on the balls of my feet. I gazed out at the valley beneath me, seeing the waterfall connecting to the River, the grasslands to the West leading to the mountains to the North, and the mysterious jungle to the West...where I was never allowed to go. The sun was setting and I knew darkness would come soon. A sigh escaped my lips as I glanced at the swirling colors in the sky, like blood and clay. Pulling the vine-woven bag from my back, I lifted open the flap and examined it's contents: three bundles of bananas, some mangoes, and some figs. We would be feasting tonight. 

Snap.

Snap.Snap.Snap.

My eyes shot up, frantically, but calculatingly, scanning the tree branches around me.  I slowly put the bag on my back and began walking to the start of the branch. I was still scanning for movement. A low hiss was escaping my mouth, warning anything that was near to back off. To stay away. 

Snap.Snap.

I crouched low, pressing my back against the bark. I stayed absolutely still, short breaths coming from my chest. The jungle was too still. No birds. No calls. No sound, except the wind and trees. The sign of the cat. He had lunged at me from above just as I had leaped from the branch.

I was flying again.

I caught the vine and swung, hearing his pursuing growls from below. Swinging from vines were the first lesson my family taught me. It was an advantage. A tool for survival. I saw the black shadow following from underneath, swatting at the greenery around him and pounding his mighty claws against the ground as he ran. He would kill any creature in his path, anything in order to get to me. After a while, there were no more vines to swing from. Taking my final leap, I latched myself onto the tree bark in front of me. My claws were embedded into the tree's skin and I quickly began sliding down to the jungle floor. I heard his shrieks behind me and immediately began running when my feet touched the ground.

My chest was burning and I felt I could not steady my breathing. My limps were pulsing with pain. My covering was being caught by the leaves and branches around me, the already worn fabric ripping more. The stinging whips on my face slowed me down slightly, and what I saw became fuzzy. No matter how many times I closed my eyes, it would not leave me. Then I felt myself being thrown. Or more like tackled. I was pinned to the ground within seconds, the beast's paws on either side of my face. The growls were rumbling in my ears and the fangs close to my eyes. As he hissed, I felt the hot breath on my neck. I looked into the cat's cold unmoving gaze and.....laughed.

The bubbling grunts escaped my chest as I wrapped my arms around the cat's soft fur, messaging his muscles with my fingers. He replied with roaring purrs, and collapsed on top of me. I could no longer breath. Sighing, I pushed him off of me and sat up on my knees, petting his neck. He always loved playing chase, because he always won. He was the king of stalking his prey. I needed to learn from him. Grunting softly, I motioned to the direction of the troop, signalling I had to go home. He whined loudly, rubbing his face on my neck. Breath escaped my nose loudly, the baby did not want me to leave. His black fur was looking a bit dusty today, and he seemed especially playful, his tail flipping from side to side. His large green eyes stared at me, trying to convince me to stay.

"Baghatur...I must leave. I will see you when the great light rises high." I explained, grunting and stamping my claws into the soil. The cat understood, nodding his head thoughtfully, then after rubbing his face on my back, ran deeper into the woods with a hiss. Goodbye, friend.

And so, I continued my way home, bringing the food for my family. For the Apes.

------------

Okay so that's that! Thank you for reading and please comment what you think! I just love Baghatur sooo much; he's just sooo cute :D I promise we will be meeting Tarzan soon ;)