Chapter Five

Anna's P.O.V.

My door is closed. A chair is wedged under the faux gold knob. It won't keep him out. It never does. I hear heavy footsteps thunder up the stairs. The floorboards creek in protest under the weight of the boots. And the man in the boots. His raspy voice calls my name. I feel bile crawl it's way up my chest. He thinks this is a game. My hands shake. I peer through the crack in my closet. The knob slowly turns as the door moves an inch forward, unable to go further due to the obstacle in its way.

"What the hell? You little bitch! You better get you ass out here right now!"

My heart beats fast. Blood rushes through my ears, drowning out his drunken cries. He pounds on the door. My veins fill with ice water. He's almost in. The door starts cracking. Then it stops. Is he actually giving up? I blow out a breath, relief flows steadily through my body.

A loud 'bang' fills the air as the door is reduced to splinters. The man stands glowering in the doorway. His eyes are pitch black, the familiar green covered by endless darkness. His feet shake the floor as he stomps towards the closet. Towards my hiding spot. I close my eyes.

The door slams open, flying off of its hinges in the process. Calloused hands grip my arm, throwing me to the ground in front of my bed. Fear consumes me. I know what's coming.

"Dad no!" I plead, watching as he slowly undoes his belt.

I  back away until I hit the wall behind me. I'm trapped. I can smell the alcohol now. Cheap beer and vodka. The sickeningly sweet scent seeps tendrils of nausea curling, like smoke in a chimney, up my throat.

"Anna, I am doing this for your own good."

He continues to walks towards me, raising his hand as he does so, belt raising with it. It's frayed from use. The cuts on my back itch, dreading being reopened.

I scream as he brings the makeshift whip down on my back...

I wake up in tears. I'm on very old, yet strangely comfortable, couch. I inspect the plaid fabric, trying to gain my bearings once more. The corduroy material reminds me of spending the holidays at my grandma's house. Visions of cookies dance in my head. I never did like sugar plums. They're too artificially sweet, so much sugar but none of it's real. I glance up once more, searching the walls and...

Wait is that a stage?

The meet and greet comes back to me in a wave of different emotions. Confusion, sadness, embarrassment. Lots and lots of embarrassment. I caused such a fuss today. Something is throwing my whole being off today, stirring up wild feelings and crazy memories. More tears slide down my cheeks as I think about the dream I just had. I thought it had stopped.

Cheers erupt around me and I hear Reed thanking everyone. I think he's coming off stage now. I rub my fingers furiously under my eyes, scrubbing like a mad woman to rid them of any salty streaks. I've worried him enough already. I see Sebastian walk into sight. He's lost in his phone, not noticing me yet. Maybe I can blend into the couch. I shallow my breath and remain absolutely still. Then my worst nightmare occurs. The sofa creaks unexpectedly. His eyes snap to mine. I'm caught.

"Hey... are you supposed to be back here?" Sebastian asks confused.

I'm still not even sure of where I am. The question tumbles from my lips before I can stop it. He blankly stares at me before responding, scratching the back of his neck as he does.

"Backstage..."

Cue the waterworks. I put my head in my hands, taking a deep breath to shift everything back into focus. It feels like everything is setting me off today. If so much as the wind blows the wrong way I'm a crying mess. But he really doesn't need to treat me like an idiot. Asshole.