There I was flipping through A Man Named Dave, when I saw him. He was calling me with his eyes they glittered a soft blue-green. As he walked to me it was like everyone disappeared. I could feel my heart racing as he inched closer. He bent over and picked up the book that had slipped from my hands.

“Here you go,” he said. And that was it. I knew he was a vampire. His tone and his eyes were so dark yet so inviting. The way fear draws you to them is fatal.

“Thanks,” I said snatching the book and quickly walking away. He followed me.

“That wasn’t much of a thank you,” he snapped. Wow this one was hell bent on something. The cashier rung up my books as he asked, “What’s your name?” I was really uncomfortable with him standing so close. I could feel his body press softly into mine. His hard ads gently pressing against my back I could feel him towering over me. He had to be at least six feet tall. Panic surged through me like water through a stream.

“That’s not important,” I said not looking at him. I wasn’t going to fall for this cliché dream. That’s what happened to my mom, and she loved my dad really intensely. That is until he ran off with her friend.

“That will be thirty-two forty-nine,” the cashier proclaimed.

I went for my wallet and before I pulled it out he gave her a fifty, “Keep the change.” That was unexpected. I stood there for a moment not believing what he’d just done.

“What are you doing,” I practically screamed. The audacity of some people-I have a job, I can pay for my books. I don’t need prince charming trying to buy his way into my pants. Jerk.

“Paying for it,” he shrugged grabbing my bag. Really guy no shit. I have eyes I know what just happened.

“You don’t have to do this I have the money,” I said using my irritated voice.

“I know,” he calmly said pulling me out the door. I could feel his bicep bugging as we walked arm in arm. The teenage girl part of me kicked in for a second and my stomach got all flutter when I looked up at him and our eyes met. His auburn hair covered his eyes a little, but you could clearly see the blue-green orbs shinning back at you. His bright smile made air get caught in my throat as I gasped at his beautifully sharp features.

I snatched my arm and bag back, as the people passing by stared at us. “What do you want?” I asked too scared to move. His smile quickly faded as he noted the fear in my eyes.

“Nothing,” he sighed. “Okay that’s a lie. I want to know your name.”

“Why?” I whispered. My hands were all sweaty so I put them in my shorts’ pockets. Great I’m attracted to a vampire stalker, wonderful.

He moved in closer to me and whispered, “Because I have to know who I’m about to take to dinner.” I guess he was trying to be smooth, but that was it. All the alarms were blazing, and my natural fight or flight instance were finally kicking in. I had to get away, find a bathroom or something to hide in until he decided to find easier prey.

“Too bad, I have to go,” I said practically running from him. I wasn’t going to end up a lonely alcoholic like my mom. No man was ever going to still my heart. Especially a diseased one.

“How about I take you home than,” he said grabbing my arm. I really wish looks could kill, but he was practically dead already so what good would it of done. Maybe if I had laser vision I could burn a hole in his arm, if only that was in my realm of power.

“No,” I screamed knowing the last thing I needed, was to bring a vampire home to my mom. She’d probably kill me before I even stepped a toe on the side walk.