CHAPTER 3 THE MOVE

CHAPTER 3

THE MOVE

Present time

'Hey, you know that I'll keep contact with you, right?'

'Hmm.'

She sobbed and nodded. It was Jen, it's been a little over an hour since she arrived as we're leaving today itself. Her blond hair, a mess and wearing mismatch clothes and her eyes red from all the crying. She started bawling her eyes out as soon as she realized that from today onwards, we wouldn't be seeing each other everyday, won't be doing our usual mischief together, anymore.

It did hurt, to think that I would no longer get to see my usual surroundings. But it hurt a whole lot more to think that I won't see my brother. Just a week ago, dad had organized a memorial ceremony in his name. All his high school friend's, teachers, I mean almost everyone in town, attended it. That was my brother, the beloved of everyone. I still believed that Ryder was well and alive and it was a just a matter of time before I sought him out.

Hard to believe that those three weeks had already passed, during which a lot of things happened. I happened to know that my jerky-ex had been pretending to turn over a new leaf just to win my confidence and to try and win the bet he made with his friends by sleeping with me. Turns out, I did the right thing to struck him there and he lost the bet also as I never stoop that low and slept with him.

'Girls, come downstairs now, and don't forget to close the windows.'

Mom was calling us down now. It was already time, nearly six-thirty; the sun had already started to set. Yep, we're leaving during nighttime, as seemingly it would be less painful. I took a deep shaky breathe as I glanced around the bedroom, not mine but the.

'I'll miss you'.

'Me too.'

Jen and I hugged as long as we could in hope to capture this moment. We went out and I closed the door, we reached Ryder's old bedroom and I could still somehow picture him in the now furniture-less bedroom lazing around, his ebony hair messy, his blue eyes twinkling with humor and mischief as he would tease me and say, that he's the one who inherited the best features from our parents.

The house was empty now and all that was left was memories, loads and loads of memories.

Jen hugged mum and dad and they talked for I don't know how many minutes.

'Oh, honey we'll miss you too. Take care of yourself.'

Mum patted Jen's cheek with affection, unshed tears shining in her eyes and dad just gave her a little smile and a quick hug. Dad was never good at emotional scenes and excelled at hiding his emotions from everyone.

Mum was wearing a simple dress while I wore pair of tight jeans, boots, and blouse, and dad was wearing shorts and a polo shirt.

We were standing on the balcony outside, the house already closed and locked and ready for the next owner to come and settle. I looked at the moon and wishing that, soon, I'll have my brother by my side

'Time to leave.'

With that simple phrase that dad said, the three of us went inside the car while Jen followed us and stood outside. Dad reversed the range rover and off we were to the main road leaving behind everything that ever mattered. My car had already been transported to Roseburg town. Jen waved from behind and I put my head out of the window and waved back until Jen was no longer in sight. Until my childhood place was no longer in sight.