Chapter Ten: The only one who knows

Nozomi cried out in shock, surprise and happiness. She threw herself into me and began to cry. "Sa-Satomi!" she sobbed. I held my older twin as she cried. I wanted to cry tears of happiness along with her, but I couldn't force myself to. That incident with me crying at the hospital was a rare one, and even then, only two tears were shed. While I held my twin, I listened in on the conversation the Team was having.
"Why did Batman allow that girl on the team and why did Despair immediately become friends with her?" I heard Kaldur'ahm muse.
"Maybe..." I heard M'gann hesitate. "Maybe Des was sent here like Hope and they were supposed to infiltrate! I wouldn't know because I can't read either of their minds..."she drifted off.
"Hey," Artemis said warningly, "Why would you even think that in the first place?!" Whale she's pissed.
"Because she-" KF started, but was cut off by Robin.
"Stop it, you guys! We haven't even known her for that long to start making any assumptions! I don't think she's like that at all! Maybe she was just trying to be nice to the new girl...." He drifted off too.
"They're twins," Connor spoke up. Shit! I forgot about the super hearing thing.
Choruses of "Really?!" and "No way!" echoed throughout the link.
"Sounds like it's been a while since they've seen each other," Conner said. His tone of voice made it very clear he wasn't going to share anymore information.
"All the more reason we can't trust her!" I heard Wally exclaim.
"Wally. Stop," Robin said, defending me for some unknown reason.
"For now, we'll watch them and see how they act, watch for any suspicious activity. And then, we make a plan from there. For now, we give no inclination that we're on to them," Kaldur said, silencing Wally who was having an inner debate with himself. I noticed Artemis stayed silent after defending me. I think that she was the only one who trusted both of us, maybe not fully, but enough. But I almost couldn't help but barge back in.
Keyword: Almost. I have self control, I just don't practice it often enough.
A few choruses of "Yeah" and "Alright, fine" filled my head. And after that, M'gann cut the connection, per request of Kaldur. She never realized I was still there. Silly girl.
I held Nozomi's sobbing form in my arms. Soon, her sobs turned to hiccups and her hiccups turned to deep breathing. It was then that I knew she had cried herself to sleep. I picked her up and placed her on the bed, removing her shoes and her wet mask. I turned off the light before leaving, looking back at her sleeping.
Next mission: food.
I passed the rooms, temporary and permanent, of the team. Unexpectedly, a door opened and an arm shot out to grab me. Before I could react, I was being pulled into the room by an upset ginger. KF. "Alright, now talk," he said, his green eyes demanding answers.
I was briefly aware of the wet spots on my clothes made from Nozomi's tears. "What are you talking about?" I said. I already knew, of course, but I wanted to hear him say it. "I mean, why are you here?" he rephrased. I closed my eyes and thought for a minute.
Why was I here? Then I remembered. "I'm here because I was told I had to join this Young Justice, as my deceased mentor called it," I said simply, pulling down my hood. It's hot in that thing. "Who's your mentor?" he asked.
"Royal," I replied immediately. His eyes widened. "Oh," was all he said. I turned to leave, by he grabbed my arm. The sleeve unexpectedly ripped. I froze as my sleeve came off.
My scars, my pride and joys (note the oh so obvious sarcasm) were visible to Kid. His eyes widened, questions spilling from his eyes and onto my scars. KF pulled up my other sleeve to confirm. He examined my arms on both sides. Weirdly, I didn't feel like pulling away.
In fact, I felt like falling. Falling far away from here where no one could find me. No one has ever found out about my scars. Not even my internet family. "Des..." he whispered, horrified.
"What happened?" he asked, sorrow and anger spilling from his eyes. As those emotions spilled from his, tears spilled from mine. "Once upon a time, there was a happy little girl," I whispered. "But then she grew up," I finished, full out silent crying now.
Here I am, all alone, in a room, there's no sound
When I look left and right, I see no one's around
In the dark, cast aside, I will endlessly speak
When it's dawn, I will see that my words remain weak

No I don't wanna see a thing
and don't need no help from nobody
Please don't look at me with pity in your eyes
I'll do it alone just fine

As I pace, step by step, I see no one with me
As I grow, I will stroll as I search for the key
If I love, I will fall, to a world full of lies
No more pain, rip my eyes so I'm free from your ties

No I don't wanna see a thing
And I don't blame my cries to nobody
The fault is all mine, that I entirely understand
Please leave me to be, I'll do it alone

No I don't wanna see a thing
and don't need no help from nobody
Please don't look at me with pity in your eyes
I'll do it alone just fine

I don't want you too see
The lonely inside
Of me

Here I am, all alone, in a room, there's no sound
When I look left and right, I see that no one's around...
KF pulled me into him, hugging me tightly. I widened my eyes in shock, feeling his warmth for a bit before hugging back. "Who did- did you-" I cut him off before he could continue. "Not all of them. Just majority of the ones on my right," I explained, still crying. "Des-" he started, but cut himself off and instead changed his question. "Who?" was all he said. "I-I don't wanna talk about it," I said simply. I hoped He would put the matter down, but he didn't. "Who. Did. It." he repeated. I just shook my head and closed my eyes and mouth. Look at me, crying while in the company of another person that I barely know. "Please..." I couldn't find the words to continue. Please don't tell anyone else. Please don't bring this up again. He seemed to understand and I felt him nod. He gave me one last squeeze before releasing me. Thankfully, I had the sleeve of another shirt beneath this one. I rolled down the sleeve, the same color as the first and wiped away my tears. My mask hid my eyes, so I didn't have to worry about my red eyes. I stepped back and held out my hand to KF. "Hi. My name is Satomi, Also known as Despair Heart," I said. He took my hand and shook it, grinning. "Hey, Satomi. I'm Wally, Also known as Kid Flash," he said. It was then that my stomach grumbled loudly and I remembered my mission. I strayed far, far from it. Fuck this shit, I'm out, I thought. Apparently, I had said that out loud. Wally laughed, and pushed me in the direction of the door. "Eat, my child! Make that delicious macaroni and cheese again!" he demanded, his eyes brightening a bit at thought of my dish. "So, you're the one who ate it," I said, glaring. He gulped as I laughed maliciously. "No one eats my food and gets away with it!" I yelled, a knife appearing in my hand, glowing with an evanescent light.

§The Rose has Fallen§