Chapter 10 - Confrontation

Start from the beginning

The first thing I notice is her white hair, then the bruises and stitches that decorate her face. Whoever she fought got her good. Did those wounds came from the person she murdered?

"Hi. I'm M'evolo, but you can call me Mev. This is Wanda." He speaks in a friendly tone, slipping his hand into mine. Her bright blue eyes notice our entwined hands, and then she's back to focusing on us.

I nod in her direction, and she stares at me for a moment longer. Remy, Bart and Jaime begin asking the alien odd question, like about her planet and home life. Nova, confused but willingly, answers the questions. 

Mev and I stand in the corner of the room. I feel his body relax as he begins the mind search.

Then the alien's skin lightens to a yellow and Mev jerks away from me. I stare at him in shock as his hand clutch at his head and he yells in pain.

"Stay out of my head, Martian." The alien girl breathes out, her eyes wide in intensity. The smell of smoke fills the room.

"Stop hurting him!" I yell, about to lung at her, when Remy holds me back and Bart reaches out to Nova.

"Hey, hey! Everyone calm down!" Bart says. Nova flinches as Bart hand reaches for hers and he stops. She starts breathing heavily, and her skin turns back to its regular tanned state.

Mev lowers his hands from his head, but his eyes are narrowed in remembered pain.

"I have never met anyone with as strong mental defense as you. I couldn't even enter your psyche." He breathes out heavily. I rip away from Remy's hold and go to him.

"Why are you trying to read my mind?" She asks, her body tense and her breathing controlled.

"Because me and Jaime ran into another Torran. His name was Maska, and he told us you were wanted for murder." Remy explains. All eyes are on the alien as she takes the information in. Her breathing hitches in her throat, and her skin begins turning colors again. I hear a whispered, "Oh no."

"Hey, calm down. It's okay, just tell us what happen." Bart says, gently. He's the closest one to her, and she focus on him. They lock eye contact for a long time, then she finally lets out a long breath.

"I am not a murderer." She speaks softly, mostly to Bart. He's just as focused on her, and when she says this, he gives a small sigh of relief.

"Ma—Maska is a warrior, a solider on our planet. You saw him, correct?" She speaks to Jaime and Remy, they both nod.

"You saw his black hair, and red eyes?" They nod again, glancing at each other.

Her eyes flickers to everyone in the room. She's obviously scared.

"It's okay, Nova. You're safe here." Bart says gently. Nova focuses on him again. Still looking at him, she says, "That is what my people look like. Black hair and red eyes. Now, as you can clearly see, I have white hair and blue eyes."

She stops, for a moment, bracing herself. "I am unique among my people. Torran's create fire with their hands, and can manipulate it. But my gifts are different. I create heat, not fire, but actually heat with my entire body. It is rare, and so much so that it is almost non-existent. I can do many things that normal Torran's cannot. I also have an impenetrable psyche." She says the last part looking at Mev. I glare at her, and she looks away.

Stupid alien girl. If she hurts Mev again, I'll kill her. I don't care what sob story she lies about next, I'll take her down.

"What does this have to do with Maska?" Jaime asks. The alien tense up again, but gets a hold of herself.