Capes

Capes. 

They comfort you with their warmth, and billow in the air like beautiful wings ready to take flight. They offer you a hug in a strange way, enhancing you with soft fabric and keeping you safe from chilly breezes and storms to come. 

I have tons of them.

Draped heavily around my tree house. Made of velvet. My favourite one is a jade coloured one, with sparrows stitched in golden thread at the hems. I found it floating in a river, soaked and dripping wet, but even then it looked beautiful. 

I love to imagine who owned the cape. A lost princess running away at night to meet her lost lover. Joan of Arc who paraded around the battle field in a glorious cape. An Empress travelling across the world with the cape that draped around her figure. 

But most importantly, capes give you something. 

They give you shelter. 

.

.

.

.

.

A dark figure in the alleyway, 

Crying and sobbing, 

With a beautiful cape around her shoulders, 

That flows across the cobblestones, 

Like melted gold,

It gives her protection, 

From the storm that rages on,

But the girl takes it for granted,

And never thanks it enough. 

.

.

.

.

.

.

I have two hundred and sixty three capes. 

And that's a lot. 

I guess I'm a cape collecter. If there is such a thing, that is. If there weren't, I am the first. The begining of the beautiful yet tragic obsession of capes. 

But capes are beautiful. They are heroic and amazing. Strong and powerful. Brave enough to fight the winters, loyal enough not to fall off a person's shoulders. 

Sometimes I curl up in a ball, nesting in my cape outside in the lush grass with a canopy of trees filtering light through small gaps. And it's so peaceful and calm, I'm always alarmed that somebody might disturb my peace. 

Whenever it's raining outside, I grab a cape and run wild and free. The feeling of rain trickling up and down my skin, the wetness of it pouring on my face and my clothes plastered on my body like second skin is intoxicating. 

Capes give me freedom. And they make me feel heroic. 

Heroic that I haven't killed myself. 

(Yet)

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Hello, kind miss. Nice weather today, my name is Capes"