Harry's Eleventh Birthday

Harry's POV
"Harry, dear! Come down for breakfast!" I hear Mum call me down to the kitchen. I groan and roll over in bed, not ready to get up just yet.

My nine year old sisters Jules and Lucy pop their heads into my bedroom. "Get up, lazy, we know you're awake," Lucy whines in her nasally voice, I look up and see her hands planted firmly on her hips. Looking quite funny if I must say. Jules leans against the doorframe, casually "or did you forget what day it is?" She asks, smiling cheekily.

I frown and grab my glasses from my bedside table, before it clicks, it's my birthday. Not just any birthday, it's my eleventh birthday, the day I get my Hogwarts letter. I sprung free of my covers and sprinted downstairs to see if my letter had arrived yet.

I vaguely heard Jules laughing at me as I ran but I didn't really care. I found Mum in the kitchen making my favourite breakfast, chocolate chip pancakes. I quickly pecked her on the cheek with a brisk "good morning" before I sat at the kitchen table to wait in anticipation for the owl that was sure to come.

I felt as though I'd been waiting for this day my entire life and really, I had. Mum and Dad were always telling us about Hogwarts and all the memories they made there, I couldn't wait to go there and see it for myself.

Dad came to the kitchen now, I guessed he had been harassing the gnomes again. Looking at the bite marks on his hands and the way he was swearing under his breath, I was right.

Jules and Lucy came downstairs then, Lucy sat at the table, her ever-present scowl darkening her face and Julie went to help Mum.

I always found myself marvelling at how different my sisters were, Julie seemed a lot older than a nine year old, she almost seemed my age sometimes. We got along really well, except for that one time when I got angry with Lucy and Julie's bed caught fire. It still isn't clear whether it was my fault or Lucy's but Julie didn't talk to either of us for a week just in case it was me.

Mum started serving the pancakes and Dad sat down at the table, "happy birthday Harry," he said, winking at me as he took a sip of his orange juice.  I beamed, extremely excited.

I saw an owl coming and almost hyperventilated, my heart sank when I realised it wasn't a Hogwarts letter.  My friend, Neville Longbottom, had sent me a letter saying he had already gotten his Hogwarts letter and I figured that Mum and Dad were probably saving it for my birthday. He's my only friend that I know will be attending Hogwarts with me this year. He's a little quiet, and a bit dopey but Mum says we're two sides to the same coin, whatever that means. I'm happy just to know someone, honestly.

Dad says I'll make plenty more friends at school but I think I'll keep Neville close, he's extremely loyal which might make him a Hufflepuff if I'm not mistaken.

I'm absolutely positive I'll be sorted into Gryffindor, how could I not? Both my parents were Gryffindors, generations of Potters have been Gryffindors. There have been a few Slytherins but I do not want to be sorted into that house. Call it a hunch.
I looked suspiciously up at Mum and Dad, "it's from Neville, he says he got his letter two days ago," I said, watching as they looked at each other and smiled the knowing smile they often shared.

Then Dad pulled a letter out of his dressing gown pocket, addressed in green ink, to:

Mr. H Potter
Upstairs Bedroom
Number 12, Bridgeway Walk
Godric's Hollow

I gasped, this was actually it, "we wanted to include it in your birthday surprises," Mum explained and I nodded, not really listening, as I turned it over and broke the Hogwarts seal on the back.

Dear Mr. Potter,
I am delighted to inform you that you have been accepted at the Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

I didn't need to read anymore, I was going to Hogwarts.

~ ~ ~

By that evening, the whole family had come with me to Diagon Alley to buy me my school stuff. Lucy whined the whole way there because we couldn't floo in, even though she knew perfectly well why.

Julie bit her lip to restrain herself from retorting and starting a fight. It was easy to forget that Julie was a squib, it didn't really make much of a difference anyway. No one would have her any other way.

On the train Lucy continued whining about how they couldn't even apparate because Julie couldn't come along and I pinched her elbow. "Ow!" She exclaimed, "Mum! Harry just pinched me!" She whined.

Mum just shook her head, "honey, we're in a train full of muggles and you're using our phrases that they know nothing about. While at the same time being incredibly rude to your sister, I think you should stop talking, sweetheart," she said, giving her a small smile.

Mum was really great with making a scolding sound like a suggestion. It worked on Jules and I, not so much on Lucy.

"Well I think that we could have gotten there by now if Jules had just stayed at home," she said, pointing at Julie even as Jules hung her head and her cheeks heated up.

"Lucille," Dad warned, the tips of his ears went pink, like Lucy's do, and Lucy finally shut up.

He and Mum shared another look, I believe it was called the 'third child look'.

So I got my wand, Mum and Dad said I had to go in alone, Mr. Olivander had been a little reluctant to give me the wand. Apparently it's twin's owner went dark. I felt the need to assure him that that wouldn't be the case with me and he just gave me a long look. I was a little freaked out but said nothing more, paid Mr. Olivander and left.

I found Dad standing some distance away, holding a cage that contained a beautiful snowy owl. My eyes widened, "happy birthday son!" He exclaimed and I rushed forward to hug him.

"Thank you so much Dad! I love h-" I paused and cocked an eyebrow at him.

"Her," Dad finished for me with a grin, "what are you going to name her?"

I looked around for inspiration, noticing a woman whose entire head, including her face, was wrapped in a wig.

"Umm, Hedwig?" I asked Dad.

He raised his eyebrows and followed where my gaze had been and cracked up laughing.

He put his hand on my shoulder and gave it a squeeze, still laughing, "Hedwig it is," he said and we both chuckled as we went to find Mum and the girls.

~ ~ ~

Today was amazing and tomorrow was my time to board the train. I couldn't sleep a wink, I was far too excited.

I heard someone coming upstairs. Mum, Dad, Luc and Jules all had bedrooms downstairs, just mine was upstairs.

Jules knocked timidly on my door "Harry? You still awake?" She asked quietly.

I sat up, curious and she came and sat on my bed.

"Um, Harry," she started off, swallowing nervously, I sat forward, encouraging her to go on. "Could you write to me? I know you might not, I know it's embarrassing to have your sister write to you but I'm really gonna miss you," she said, finishing quietly.

Julie really tried to look tougher than she was, I knew she was really sensitive deep down but this was new for me. We never really had a heart to heart.

I scoffed, "of course I'll write to you! You think I won't miss you too? Jules, I feel horrible for leaving you with Luc but you know I'll write to you," I said, watching the relieved smile grow on her face.

"Thanks Harry, say hi to Neville for me," she said, standing up and walking away.

"Wait," I called, "you mean you aren't coming to the train station?" I asked and she smiled reassuringly at me.

"Mum and Dad don't know if I'll be able to get onto the platform and I really don't want to test it by smacking my face into a wall," she said, joking, and I laughed.

"Alright then, I'll tell Neville you say hi," I said as she waved and shut my door behind her.

After a while, I finally drifted off.