Harry's Birth

July 31st 1980

Lily's POV

It was very early in the morning, around 3:00am, I would say. I was sitting in my reading chair by the window, rereading Jack London's Call of the Wild out loud so my baby boy could hear it.

I turned the page and felt the baby move. "Hmm, either you really like this one or you really hate it. I won't mind either way," I said, adjusting the pillow behind my back when I felt a pulling sensation. "Ow," I muttered, ruefully. 

I read on. "Day after day, for days unending. Buck toiled in the traces. Always they broke camp in the dark, and the firs- OUCH!" I pressed a hand to my side as it cramped up. I thought maybe I wasn't sitting right, so I stood up and my waters broke. I panicked, "James! James come quickly!" I called, hoping he would hear me.

James apparated downstairs with a pop, not even bothering to use the stairs. Usually that sort of thing would tick me off but this time I was greatful for his urgency.

"What is it, Lils?" He asked anxiously. 

I gestured to my belly. "He's coming."

James' worry dissolved into relief and joy before he pulled me into one of his bear hugs that I just adored.

He used magic to chang into his robes, as he was still in his pajamas and altered his appearance so that his unruly, black hair became smooth and blond; his warm, hazel eyes became darker until they were a chocolate brown.

He then pointed his wand at me and made my hair a darker shade of burgundy. I think he changed my eye colour but I didn't feel anything.

"Are you ready, love?" he asked, taking my hand. I nodded and put my other hand on my stomach. Let's introduce little Harry to the world.

James and I had decided on the name Harry because it wasn't too common but it also wasn't really extravagant. We had briefly considered naming him after James' father, Fleamont, before his portrait in the reading room had advised us heavily against it.

I had also decided that Harry's middle name would be James but I hadn't told him just yet.

James apparated us to St Mungos and the healers quickly gathered around to help. James kissed my nose before I was wheeled away.

One hour later I held my little Harry James Potter in my arms. I could tell he would grow up to look just like his father, he already had the thick, untidy black hair.

He was so beautiful. He yawned as I held him, his little mouth opening wide. Tears of pride filled my eyes, it kept hitting me that he was mine.

James walked in, ruffling his hair nervously but beaming from ear to ear. I held Harry up to him, "say hello to Dada," I said.

James nearly cried, I could tell he was trying to look tough in front of me as he took Harry from my arms. Although I could have sworn I saw a tear roll down his cheek as he turned away.

He looked back at me through his fogged up glasses, and grinned. I laughed a little seeing his proud expression.

"Welcome to the world, my boy," James whispered as he looked back down at him again. I gazed at my two boys and my heart felt fit to burst with love. This was my family, my whole world.

Sirius's POV

The two-way mirror that James and I use to communicate shivered. Immediately, my gut twisted with dread.

Voldemort.

Why else would James wake me up at 5:00 in the morning?

I quickly snatched the mirror from my sock and looked into it. "Prongs?" I asked anxiously.

"Padfoot! You'll be glad I woke you, I promise!" James said, excitedly as his face came into view. I relaxed. "What is it?" I demanded, running a hand lazily through my bed hair.

"He's here! Lils and I named him Harry James, you've got to come and see him! Dumbledore said a quick visit wouldn't hurt and Lils and I haven't seen you in ages! You've gotta come now!" He rambled off, like he always did when he was excited.

I have to admit, I was pretty excited too, the first little Marauder! "Okay, I'll be as quick as I can," I told him and ended the spell.

I got to St. Mungos in record time. Having to travel in my animagus form so I wouldn't be recognised.

Dumbledore was waiting for me outside and beckoned me forwards. "Padfoot, good to see you," he said, holding the door open for me. I barked in reply and trotted in.

A few of the nurses looked up in confusion and Dumbledore reassured them with a nod. "It's perfectly fine, he's with me," he said as though that excused the fact that a dog just walked into a hospital. 

I bark-chuckled at the old man's antics. Only Dumbledore. He guided me to Lily's room and left us alone, draping a cloak over my dog-form as he went. In Lily's arms was a little bundle with black, messy hair sticking out the top. I shifted back to myself and pulled my arms through the sleeves of the cloak.

"Congratulations, you two!" I stage-whispered, thinking that maybe Harry might be sleeping.

James and Lily smiled really big, I found myself cracking up laughing. "What are you laughing at?" Lily asked, still smiling.

"You!" I exclaimed, "the two of you are as happy as fools!" I said chuckling.

James shuffled closer to Lily. "That we certainly are," he said giving her a quick kiss.

I gagged but moved forwards, anxious to see mini-Prongs. "Can I hold him?" I asked Lily.

She nodded and handed Harry over to me. "Hey there baby Harry! Little Prongs Jr. How're you going, mate?" I cooed, this kid already had me wrapped around his finger.

"I still can't get over the fact that you two are parents," I said shaking my head and feigning bewilderment.

Lily laughed. "Well, try getting over this: we want you to be Harry's Godfather," she said with a smile.

I nearly dropped Harry in shocka clear sign that I was not equipped for this task—and stared at my two friends. "Seriously?" I asked incredulously, my mouth agape.

James stepped towards me. "Mate, we'd love it if you accepted." He touched me on the shoulder lightly, being careful not to jostle his son.

"I would be honored," I said with all the sincerity I could muster. I looked down at my Godson and vowed to be like a second father to him and love him as though he were my own.