CHAPTER SIX: In My Arms...

ابدأ من البداية

“Sh babe,” I cooed softly. “I’m just carrying you down to the bus.” I didn’t need to tell her; she was still sleeping soundly.

When everyone was settled down and ready to go, everyone was oddly quiet, but I guess they didn’t want to wake Elaina up, who was snuggled next to me, her head on my shoulder. I shifted quietly so I was more comfortable. I was just about to plug in my headphones when someone whacked me hard on the head with a pillow. “OW!” I was careful to keep my voice down. I turned around to glare at the culprit. “What was that for?” I hissed at Zayn.

“When are you gonna ask her out mate?” Zayn whispered back. I groaned inwardly, of course my band mates have already picked up on it. Harry, Louis, and Kristie all leaned forward, anticipating my response. Niall, of course, was too busy eating a packet of crisps to care; it was like he was scared that all the crisps in the world is gonna be gone. Knowing Niall, that’s probably what he was thinking though.

I looked at each of their hopeful faces, “I really don’t know… I mean, she just got out of a relationship…” My voice trailed off. I have to give her time to heal. I added silently.

“Just do it mate,” Niall suggested, “She obviously likes you. What’s the harm done?”

“Of course there’s harm done; I don’t want to hurt her,” I snapped instantly. Can’t they see how broken she is? And she likes me? When is that obvious? I wondered.

Louis chuckled, “Well there you have it ladies and gentlemen, the number one reason why Liam should just go ahead and ask Elaina out.” I rolled my eyes at him.

"How do you guys know she likes me?" I wondered aloud.

"Well, I know for a fact that she's been in love with you ever since you guys got put together as a band," Kristie said, smirking.

"That's different," I said dismissively, "That was fangirling."

"No it wasn't fangirling," she snickered, "More like obsessing," she laughed again. "She's just trying to protect herself since she just got out of a bad relationship," she added softly. "But she definitely likes you, Liam, I can attest to that." I gazed at the beautiful girl sleeping peacefully beside me and felt a euphoric, hopeful feeling. This girl, who I've only met four days ago, came into my life like a tornado, sweeping everything up and turning things upside down making me so disoriented that I couldn't see straight anymore. I was used to girls chasing after me, but this time I was doing the chasing, stopping along the way to fix her. And I loved it. The feelings she stirred in me was hectic, strange. And I loved these feelings. And I was going to do whatever I had to do to fix this gorgeous, hurt girl and show her how wonderful love is.

"Sooo, are you or are you not?" Harry prodded.

“Sorry for snapping at you, Niall,” I apologized. “I will ask her out when she’s ready, ok? That’s the best I can give you guys,” I decided. Kristie nodded in approval.

 “It’ll be nice to see you happy for once,” Harry said softly, “Without your moping around and sullenness.” When did I mope?

“Yeah mate,” Zayn looked glum, “We want happy Liam back too.” Clearly, I didn’t hide my feelings well enough. But we’ve been with each other for almost ten years; these boys know anything about me, I realized.

“I say boys,” Louis drawled, “We want Daddy Direction back, don’t we?”

“Yes!” Four voices answered him in unison.

I smiled and shushed them. “Don’t worry, boys, happy Daddy Direction is back. I don’t know where you guys were but he’s been back for quite some time now,” I said softly.

“Because you got Elaina,” Harry said, smirking at me. I ignored him and wrapped my arm around Elaina’s shoulders, pulling her close to me. Very slowly, I brushed her hair back and planted a soft kiss on her forehead. Elaina sighed softly in her sleep and I smiled down at her. You’re beautiful, I thought, gazing down at her.

“Right then,” Louis whispered, “My work here is done. Goodnight boys,” he and Harry disappeared from view, probably going to watch funny YouTube videos. Zayn almost immediately fell asleep. Kristie and Niall cuddled together and it wasn’t long before they were asleep too.

About two hours into the ride, Elaina finally stirred and stretched in my arms. She yawned and I had to grin since she was so cute. “Good morning,” she mumbled, giving me a drowsy grin. I smiled again; her smile was infectious. She looked around. "Where are we?" Her voice was still thick with sleep.

"We're on the bus, going to Manchester so we can board our flight to Helsinki," I answered, watching her carefully.

She frowned just a bit. “Are we there yet?” she asked like a little kid and I had to stop myself from grinning at her like some kind of lovestruck fool.

I checked my watch, “Well there’s still about one more hour to go,” I replied.

Elaina sat up and rubbed her eyes. “You know what sounds good to me right now?” she suddenly asked.

I raised an eyebrow “What?”

“Pancakes!” she exclaimed. She stood up, “C’mon, let’s go make pancakes for the group!” she tugged on my shirt. Who am I to resist her? I followed her like an eager puppy to the kitchen area. She started setting out the materials and soon enough, I was flipping pancakes on the griddle. She bumped against me as she reached for the plate of steaming pancakes. I focused on flipping pancakes. It was all I can do to stop myself from holding her close against me and give her a sweet kiss, just to show her that someone actually cared about her. Stop Liam, I told myself. Give her time. Give her space. I watched the pancakes carefully. Sizzle, light brown, and flip. I repeated the actions mechanically. “I think that’s enough,” she said, gesturing to the four heaping plates of pancakes. “Unless… is it enough for Niall?” she bit her lip. I had to stifle my laughter. She cares a lot about others, I thought. Yet she distances herself whenever someone tries to return the same gesture. I realized. I sighed mentally. Don't worry babe, Liam will be here to put together the broken pieces and make you whole again. I promised the beautiful, broken girl in front of me silently.

“It probably is,” I admitted. “And if it isn’t, Niall can make himself more.” Before I can stop myself, I scooped a dollop of whipped cream and dabbed it on her nose.

She looked a bit shocked before laughing quietly, “Liam, the whipped cream goes on the pancakes, not on Elaina’s nose, got it?” she joked. “Yes, Elaina is talking about herself in the third person here,” she added, laughing. I laughed along with her; her laugh was like the most contagious thing in the world, and she was even more lovely when she laughed. There was a gleam in her eyes and  the hurt was slowly fading. I really had to stop myself from kissing her then.

I wiped the whipped cream from her nose, “Sorry,” I chuckled. A mischievous look came about her. She quickly stuck her finger in the whipped cream and touched my nose. Then she grabbed two plates of pancakes and quickly ran away from me.

“Breakfast is served!” she called. I came out, offering the other two plates, with the whipped cream still on my nose as everyone raised their eyebrows at me, questioning. I looked at Elaina as she passed out plates. The pain in her eyes was still evident but it was definitely fading. There’s still hope, I cheered mentally. I can do this. I can save her.