Book 2⌇18. Runaway Princess

Start from the beginning

"Mom!" I cry out, rushing toward her. Her arms are wide open, welcoming me as I fall into her loving embrace. I find myself crying once again, my chin resting on her shoulder as I try to remain calm, but I can't.

**

-Locaine

"Evie," Annika whispers, holding her close.

It'd been the longest week of my life, waiting to meet my daughter properly. I finally have the two women that mean the most to me back in my life. My family is back together after two hundred years...

When Annika and I returned to our home, I'd found Killian along with his beloved Kenzie waiting for our return. They'd brought along three hunters, one of them happened to be Evie's pet...which, after many hours of straightening out the details of their relationship, came to understand that she provided refuge for these beings.

My daughter is something else...she doesn't want the fighting, but she doesn't want to kill the hunters to bring about peace.

Zak came to her defense each time I questioned her actions, learning from Killian precisely what happened to Evie as she grew up. I know there's evidently a void in her heart, and I hope to answer whatever questions she has for me.

"Evie?" I startle her as she pulls away from Annika hesitantly. Her eyes meet mine, and I see both Annika and me in her.

"Yes?" She asks. I can tell she's uncomfortable.

I glance up at the crowded room and then look to Lucca, who silently nods to me. I part my lips to announce, "I would like to speak to my daughter. Alone."

Killian and Kenzie lock stares before heading out of the parlor, followed by Rainier and Janie. Zak lingers for a moment, narrowing his eyes at me.

I don't like you very much either...

He's protective after all, Evie had apparently saved him from a life of torture and imminent death. He owes her his life...if ever anything ever arose, he damn well better be ready to repay it.

Zak walks past Lucca, following his companions.

"While you speak with Evie," Annika's voice sounds very harsh as she directs her next sentence at Lucca, "I want a word with you."

Oh dear...

Don't do anything stupid, little hunter.

I won't.

I can practically hear her sarcastic tone as she heads toward the exit, taking hold of the front of Lucca's shirt and dragging him out the parlor.

Annika and I'd reestablished our blood bond, our love stronger than ever.

The sound of the door shutting silences the room. Evie looks up at me anxiously, one of her arms is wrapped in front of her waist as she holds her opposite one. It's very quiet, until I ask, "Would you like to sit down?"

Evie doesn't respond, only taking a seat in one of Lucca's chairs, her watchful eyes not leaving me as I sit across from her.

"Evie-" I begin.

She immediately narrows her eyes and speaks angrily, "Why did you send us away?"

"I sent you away to protect you and your mother."

"Lot good that did," she crosses her arms in front of her chest.

I sigh, trying to keep myself composed.

She's got my temper...

"At the time," I continue, watching her tense, "I thought it would be best to send you and your mother to a safe house, away from all the underhanded feuding. I knew the recognized coven leaders wanted to overthrow me...they wanted power, so, I knew if they took either of you away from me, they would use you against me."