three |upscale

Kaine

It's 5 o'clock in the morning..

My phone has been ringing for hours and I couldn't seem to find the energy to answer.

I answered, who ever this was—was going to get cussed the fuck out. Don't call my phone.

"What!" I heard sniffling, I removed the phone from my ear. It read, Leigh.

"Leigh?"

"Can you come get me and Noa?"

"From where?"

I sat up quickly.

"The Lucky 13, on Golden Gate."

"Why aren't you home?"

"I'll tell you later just..please."

I already put on my sweatshirt. It was actually raining in California and it was dreadful. I couldn't imagine her in the rain—cold.

"I'm on my way, Leigh."
--
Leigh

Who fucking knew it was going to rain? It never rains in California.

That's partially the reason why I left the east.

I thought that it would pass until I was walking and seemingly a dark cloud rose over me—and me only. Clearly it wasn't.

I could handle a little rain, but then a limo was speeding and a big puddle of dirty water ended my world.

I stood under what I could to cover Kamdyn but once those places closed it was back to walking and I didn't want him to be cold.

My hair is curling up and my clothes are sticking to me, while my shoes squeaked their little souls out.

I broke a heel while walking and I looked like a disco go-go dancer that got let go—and I've been looking for a job for the past 40 years.

My feet hurt, where is Kaine?

I knew I couldn't depend on him. I tried to call him and just my luck my phone was now off and I'm lonely in the dark. The streets are filled with winos and hookers—people never see this side of LA.

"Leigh! Get ya' ass over hea."

Only a matte silver fox Challenger with dazzling 44's was there.

The windows were tented therefore I continued walking. It stopped when I stopped, drove when I walked. Until finally Kaine appeared, "Why would you continue, if you knew that I was coming."

"My bad, I didn't know you were serious."

He straight faced me and revved up his engine, "Get in the car, now."

He's such a pushover. He got out of the car and immediately grabbed Noa from me,

"Give me the seat."

He settled him in.

"Where'd you learn that?"

"YouTube. You shouldn't have had him out there like that. You on drugs Leigh?"

"No! I just—just wanted to go for a walk to clear my head and I guess I walked too far."

My face was so flushed by this whole interaction.

"Want me to take you home or what?"

"Uh..yes. Please."

Why did I say yes? I had no damn home and clearly no sense either.