twenty-one | granted

Leigh

From a rational perspective, I should never have extended the invitation.

This gives him access.

When he entered the conference room, Kaine  cleared his throat, snapping me out of my thoughts.

He loosened the buttons on his jacket and sat down across from me.

"Coffee, sir?"

He was quiet. He was only this quiet when something weighed heavily on his mind.

He just nodded.

I placed it gently onto his desk, he grabbed my hand tightly, and he held on until I was standing between his legs.

Still holding my hand, he says, "He's a very manipulative man. Don't you say a thing with a speck of truth, lie. He'll know you're lying if you're not listening to his words carefully and answer him too quickly or slowly."

I nodded.

"He shouldn't say anything to you but if he does, don't show him any emotion. Be monotone. Don't move so suddenly. And look him in the eye." He said shaking,

"Kaine, what's wrong?"

"I—I don't want him nowhere near you. He targets the wrong people in a persons life. And I know how we get about one another and our family. He will say some vile ass shit just to see you break. But you can't react. He'll notate your response and mark it down as a weakness."

"I'll be fine. Make sure you're good. No reactions this way, you strapped?"

He looked at me knowingly, this office was damn near an artillery, and I had not known this until recently.

I nodded once more, "Ok, I've told everyone already that we would need to be uninterrupted for the day, unless it pertained to Noa."

"No, not even with Noa—

"Kaine."

"I can't risk that. His name even being spoken."

"Fine."
..
Soon thereafter Nico arrived.

He was in a tacky grey suit but I couldn't deny that he was a very handsome man

"Hello Love, you must be Leigh."

"Yes, you must be Mr. Lawrence. May I see your identification."

"Whatever makes you happy sweetheart."

"Leigh, my name is Leigh. Please follow me."
..
Kaine

I watched from my office window as they walked in.

"Send them up." I told my authorization system, that controls the elevators and doors.

Soon, I hear a gentle,

"Mr. Cole, Nicolai Lawrence is here to see you."

"Thank you Leigh, come in."

"Son.." he said as he walked in.

"Sir." I said. "Have a seat. Coffee?"

"Fuck the charade Mack. We are here to talk business. Does the hot piece of ass, have to be in the room?"

I saw her eye twitch.

"She'll be in and out periodically. But like you said, cut the nice shit out. What the fuck do you want? We are already giving you a quarter mil each plus."

"I want that algorithm. It's rightfully mine I sponsored y'all niggas whole lives. Without me y'all would be dead in the streets, in jail, or be one of my customers. I gave y'all the equipment, style, the look, and the means to make it out of that fucked up ass projects most of y'all was in."

"I told you it's been destroyed. Long gone."

"You was always the smart one. Replicate it."

"We weren't smart enough. We never wrote shit down. There's no replication. Things have changed in the world since then, and you know it."

He let out a frustrated sigh,

"If I don't get that algorithm, I'll start with your family. And your little wife. Then you."

"No need for threats."

"Promises."

"I want you to try your luck Nico. But we can come up with a deal."

"Keep the original terms and you get your money. That's all you want? You want some recognition?"

"I want an empire and you're blocking my blessings."

"You're a multimillionaire Nico,why you need us?"

"It's not a need. It's a want. Get me what I want, or else I'll have that light skin over there be my bitch and I'll fuck her in front of you, make her do my dirty work and have her watch you bleed out, keeping you alive close enough to where you see her off herself, then leave your dumb ass to die. Don't play coy with me. You've seen it happen. I know you can replicate it, if you haven't already. I swear body's will drop like flies if you don't give me what's rightfully mine! It will be hell to pay!"

"Ain't that right light bright." He said to her, groping her.

"Back up Nico." I said.

She remained still,

"I said back the fuck up Nico."

"Or what." He said holding her tighter.

Next thing I know Nico is on the ground with a 6 inch pump in his neck.

"Say another gotdamn thing. Don't you dare touch me again! Who the fuck do you think you are? Mr. Cole make your deal."

"I don't want a war. I'll give you the money and I'll even attempt to replicate it. But if not, you gotta disappear. Agree, or that heel goes into your jugular. If there's a hair harmed by you on anyone else you'll see more than bodies fly nigga."

"Understand!" Leigh screamed,

That was sexy. That's my wife.

Nico laughed, "You got a feisty one. Upgrade from the last one. You got it, deal."

That was too easy. He had something up his sleeve.

We let him up.
..