6. • fright •

En başından başla

"Well it was nice meeting you, Cassandra." His words seemed to be a bit cautious as he spoke, picking his words carefully while his thoughts raced. "And I hope you got over that fear of yours," he added, gesturing towards the now undeniably open window.

"I'll be fine," she laughed, extending her arm and opening the window completely with a smug grin and a subtle jut of her chin. "This stays open until I land." He grinned at her promise immediately, watching as the once terrified woman that sat next to him now oozed off incredibly confidence and personality. A last call for anyone on board lingered through the plane, causing sudden nerves to arise inside of him towards the limited time he had.

"I think that's your cue," she mumbled humorously, watching as the last couple of passengers nearly exited the plane.

"Right," he chuckled. Standing up once more, his chest heaved once more as he breathed out with a content grin, watching as the smile on her face mirrored his. After being with his own ex-girlfriend for almost a year, true astonishment set in him once he realized how effortless their conversation had been in just a matter of hours- something that seemed to be impossible when it came to the woman his parents swore had been perfect for him.

"Have a safe flight," he concluded finally.

"Thank you," Cassandra reciprocated, letting her emerald eyes shimmer from the sunlight beaming against her face through the window. She added a genuine smile on her face as he walked through the aisle and through the exit with a short wave exchanged by both of them.

Several strides led him towards the conveyor belts filled with a sea of different luggages. It was incredibly relieving to finally have his feet on the ground, despite of where he was actually standing. Frankly, he was dreading flying back home not only because of the hostile family members awaiting him, but the hovering fact that he was coming back without Jess- something he was sure his parents would give him an earful for.

A deep breath escaped his lips as he crossed his arms over his chest, his green eyes peeled for whenever he saw his suitcase. The constant bulge in his leather jacket infuriated him every time his arm brushed past it, a painful reminder that seemed to leave a bitter taste in his mouth. To be frank, he had his suspicions of Jess' cheating long before the proposal- not that his parents would care about it. The Eckhardts were undeniably consumed with the idea of self-image and preservation, values that seemed to alter back when his parents' sudden transformation took form. It was a true contrast to who they were in their humble beginnings when he was a young lad.

Bitterness filled his heart as he waited for his bag, allowing his mind to think of his parents' unbelievable refusal to accept anything and anyone that wasn't up to their social standard. It was quite silly to think of really- their motive for him to ever consider talking to Jess Carson almost a year before. It felt similar to a marriage between countries, their announced proposal being the ticket for his parents unshakable friendship with the prestigious business partners they'd been trying to befriend, the Carsons.

Now there he was, waiting for his suitcase alone with the ring still inside his jacket pocket. Immediate annoyance flowed through his body as he listened to the unrelenting rings of his cellphone, finally taking a hold of it and answering despite his desire not to. He pressed the phone against ear, fully prepared to listen to his snotty sister through the other side.

"Are you here?" she pressed agitatedly. The last person he wanted to see at the moment was Shay, knowing more than anything the immediate questions that would arise from her.