11. Awkward Seduction

Start from the beginning

Derek grumbled something along the lines of "You are stubborn," but did as he was told.  He coughed once and set the bottle back on the table.  His eyes were now struggling to find Cinnia, but his strength had not been compromised.  He got back to what he was doing, with even more determination.

Once the last two buttons were undone, Cinnia felt a cold hand slip inside.  She took a harsh intake of air through her nose.  Now, she was truly terrified.  Her plan wasn't working.  She nearly admitted defeat when suddenly, she heard a loud commotion coming through the door that lead to the hallway.  Raised voices, that were arguing about something, seeped through old wood of the door.  Cinnia recognized one voice as that of belonging to Adorno.  Something was wrong.

Derek stopped, and twisted his head to look towards the door.  "What was that?" he slurred, genuinely confused.  Cinnia, in a split second of desperation, grabbed for the bottle on the table and swung it at the back of Derek's head.  It hit right where she had hoped, emitting a dull sound.  The bottle itself had managed to stay intact.  Derek, without a sound, fell to the side of Cinnia.  She wriggled herself out from under Derek's legs and placed the bottle his hand.  She reached for his right hand, found the ring and slipped it off as quickly as she could.  She hurried over to where the complimentary slippers were and jumped into them.  They were slightly too large for her, but it didn't matter.  On the wall hung a decorative sword, and Cinnia pulled it from the metal spikes that were holding it up.  It was unbalanced and heavy in her hand, but it would have to do.

The sounds of the voices outside were growing and growing, and Cinnia hurried to open the door.  She still didn't know whether or not her real identity had been revealed, but she took her chances.  "What is the meaning of this?  Can I not sleep in peace?'  She said, acting annoyed and demanding while making sure to keep the sword hidden behind the door.

     Three angry guards and a scared Adorno silenced at the sight of her.  "Get her, now!"  The guard in the lead said and they came at her.

Cinnia backed away from the door that swung open only a moment later.  She swung her sword at the first surprised guard--whom had assumed she was unarmed--and he took a blow to the side of the head that caused him to pass out.  'Unsharpened' she thought to herself in dismay at the sword, but happy that she most likely hadn't killed the attacking man.

The second guard, which were a few feet behind the other one, fumbled at his belt, trying to get his pistol out.  Cinnia hurried, and sloppily rammed the sword into the head of the second guard.

      "Drop it," The final guard said once the second body dropped.  He had his gun pointing straight at Cinnia's forehead.

Cinnia dropped the sword but remained calm.  Behind the guard, she saw that Adorno had grabbed hold of a metal, candle floor stand in his right hand and a small dagger in his left, and was sneaking closer.  With all his force, Adorno swung the candle stand at the back of his head.  The guard’s eyes grew surprised for a moment at the impact, before turning dazed.  He collapsed into a heap on the carpeted floor.  Adorno and Cinnia stared at the bodies before locking eyes in awe of their luck.  Adorno grabbed at Cinnia’s hand—forgetting his hatred for her—and pulled her out through the door.

     “They know, Cinnia.  They know we’re impostors.  They have some of Raelith’s guard force stationed outside.  We have to sneak out.  Did you get the ring by the way?”  He said with desperation.

Cinnia nodded.  She felt the outline of the ring and stone pressing into her hand, most likely imprinting into her skin from her harsh clutch.  Adorno murmured a “good job” as he pulled her into a run.  The floor in the hall way was made of hard stone, and Cinnia felt her heels becoming sore from constantly hitting the floor harshly; the thin sole of the slipper did little to protect her feet.