Chapter 12 - Attraction

Start from the beginning

I finish off my cereal and head over to the sink to rinse out my bowl, before placing it in the dishwasher.

"So, do you even know what powers you have yet?" I ask, glancing over my shoulder as I close the dishwasher and stride back over to the kitchen counter.

Andrew shakes his head, "Not a clue."

"Maybe we'll figure that out today." I say to him.

He shrugs, "Who knows."

"I should probably get changed..." I add, realising that I'm still in my pyjamas, probably not the best running outfit.

"I'll be here." Andrew replies, flicking over the page in the paper to continue reading.

I turn from him and dash up the stairs to my bedroom, quickly changing into my running gear and scraping my hair back into a high auburn pony tail.

When I come back downstairs, Andrew is waiting for me at the bottom.

"Ready?" He asks.

I nod, "Of course."

The two of us head out of my house and down to the waterfront, following the path that leads into the centre of the city. We both keep up a steady jog and try to maintain conversation as we do so.

The track is a bit busier at this time of the day though, with residents out walking their dogs and going on their own runs. It's the first time I've experienced a bit more of this place than usual.

The past week has been so hectic; I haven't actually gotten a moment to explore the city. Sure, I've seen the forests, beaches and temples...But never the actual shops and cafes.

I've certainly gone about exploring the Cobalt Isles in a roundabout way.

"So, where's Lyke this morning? Don't you usually go for runs with him?" I ask, as the two of us approach the city.

Andrew laughs, "I don't think he'll be a very good running buddy anymore..."

"Oh...Yeah." I reply, realising what Andrew is getting at. That kinda sucks for Lyke though, the fact that he would find running normally so boring now.

I mean, what kind of rush do you get from a jog? Compared to travelling at what feels like a million miles an hour.

"Well, welcome to our beautiful central city." Andrew announces as the two of us hit town.

The place is gorgeous, with outdoor cafes and boutique stores. It's the most perfect city I've ever seen.

Everything is manicured, the track we've been running on turns into a sculpted path, lined with bushes of wild flowers and towering tropical trees. It's a burst of colour, smell and sound, the whole place is exciting.

"Wow, it's so gorgeous..." I mumble, the two of us slowing down to a walk.

Andrew nods, "I suppose so. I'm just pretty used to the place."

I roll my eyes, "Of course you are. All of you seasoned locals are so used to the beauty of the place you live in."

He shrugs cheekily, "Sorry 'bout that."

The two of us wander along the streets, as I try my best to take in everything that's happening around me.

I feel extremely underdressed in my running gear, everyone else is wearing the most lavish summer wear, with oversized sunglasses, heeled sandals and large swooping hats. It's like something out of a movie.

"Come on, let's grab a drink."

I follow Andrew over to one of the beachfront cafes and the two of us head over to the counter.