Chap. 5

A few days later I'm reading a book they gave me, on the bed. Yesterday I drew on the wall above me with the coals from the fireplace. I'm still stuck in my room, bored out of my mind. At least I got this book, talking to Jack and Tyrone was getting old. As I finish the chapter I'm on, a key rattles in the door. I close the book, and put it on the bedside table. When I turn towards the door, Southern Leather is standing there, she's smiling. She's wearing jeans and a red, plaid t-shirt. She has no makeup on and she is still very pretty, with her light cobalt eyes.   "How are ya?" She asks. "Fine. You?" I answer. "Good. The name's Carly." "I'm Joey." "Hmm." She walks over and holds out her hand. I take it and shake it. "Stand still." I say. "No! You ain't doin that with me." She turns away. "Polly told me about her experience with you." "Wait, but I'm not done yet." "I don't care. I met you. Now I'm leaving." She walks out the door and locks it behind her. I go back to my book, and wonder: When will I be allowed to leave my room? It will give me something to do, maybe even escape. I suddenly smell a terrible smell. I get up and start scouring the room to find it. "Dude, seriously?" Jack says. "What?" "It's you. Go take a shower!" "Oh. Oh! Yeah, ok." I grab a towel and head to the bathroom to take a shower. When I'm done I walk out to get dressed, but stop just before I take off my towel to switch it out with some pants. I turn around and Jannet is there, by the door. "What is with you girls and coming in here while I'm in the shower?" I say. "It's not personal. We're gorgons, it's in our nature to try and see you as vulnerable as you are while naked." She answers. "Thanks for the info." I say sarcastically. She brushes it aside. "Tomorrow you will be allowed to wander the house, but I warn you in advance: stay away from the basement or you will be confined back to your room." She then turns and exits.