Chapter One

Chapter One

Ellie's Point of View

5 Weeks

My mother's persistent bragging about my older sister's successful love story told me only one thing, 'My mother only idea of success was when a woman finally became someone's wife; her own greatest success came from this.' Of course, she does not care that her youngest daughter is a national acclaimed athlete or that her younger daughter go to one of the most prestigious colleges in the world with a full scholarship, no she only cares that I can't keep a relationship. God, if only she knew what has happened to me here than she would beg me to come home. "Sage is already enjoying the thought of marrying Marty; Oh, Ellie isn't this just excellent," My mother's excitement was killing me on the inside.

I am happy for my sister, but how am I supposed to come home now. Sage has everything now; she has the job, the looks and now the husband. All I have are pointless athletic medals and a flesh eating secret. "I have to go," I tell mother, hanging up the phone in one flash. "Ellie Wills?" The nurse asks as I stand walking to her.

They check my weight, my vitals and go over some tests before the real doctor came in. A grungy middle aged woman who is supposed to be the best of the best, "Hello Ellie, I am Doctor Stevens." She goes over my options over and over again before I finally call it quits. I tell her that I am going to do what I have to do before leaving my appointment. Rushing back to my dorm room, I find my roommate already gone. Either she is out partying or actually going to class, whichever is always a surprise to her. Sometimes she finds herself having no recollection of which one she just did or who she just did.

Wiping away the tears that seem to flood down my face, I pack up the rest of my things. With only a large suitcase, a medium sized box and a rather small duffel bag, I empty everything of mine out of the room. Heading down stairs with the duffel bag and suitcase, I pack them into the back seat of my old worn out car hoping that the thing will make it the two hundred miles needed to get home. Finishing with the last box, I set off to my destination. Remembering that what has hurt me here can't possibly hurt me at home.

--

With the three hour road trip behind me, I pull in front of the old suburban style house only a few blocks from downtown. Views of the ocean seen from every room in the house, somehow my parents have made the big house work for them even after my sister and I moved out. I look out of the driver window across the road still lives the Holm family. They were one of the richer families in town also; with a husband that was an architect, a housewife and their son who was only two years older than me, they made perfect friends to my crazy oriented family. Delphine Holm and my mother have been inseparable since the day they met over twenty-years ago. While my father and Mr. Holm are golf buddies, along with karaoke buddies. The house next to them, is my best friend's house. Alexandra Molls moved into town during kindergarten year and like Delphine and my mother, we were inseparable. Alex was the pretty popular one while I was the competitive athlete. Then next to my house was the one and only Charlie 'Trash' Mitch. Charlie inherited the name 'Trash' during our elementary days when he fell into the trash bin after standing on it. He smelt of garbage for practically a week after.

The butterflies zooming around my stomach, lessen the closer I became to the front door. I knew my father wouldn't be home which a grateful thing is because he was the biggest persuader to accept the college offer. Shakenly, I press the doorbell hearing the familiar tune play through the house. "Ye- Ellie?" My mother questions my appearance. My once long brown hair was now in a pixie cut, a better idea for sports; my brown eyes were probably red from my excessive crying this morning; my skin paler than what it has ever been.

My mother hasn't changed in the practical two years I have been gone. Her once brown hair now gleamed in gray and white strands; crow's feet were peaking around her crystal green eyes and her face full of happy laugh lines. "Honey, why aren't you in school?" My mother opens the door wider, a sign that I am actually welcomed back home. The house hasn't changed a bit; almost brand new and smelt of mother's baked goods. "I was given a break, a requirement for athletes recovering from injury." I lie through my teeth.