Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Ellie's Point of View

One Month Later

13 weeks

Within the last four weeks one thing has been on my mind, Alex says it is just a passing idea but for some odd reason it sticks to me like the flu. "We couldn't afford it even if we wanted," Alex always shuts it down with those simple eight words every time I even try to ask a question. "Alex, moving in together would be best for both of us. We are adults here, almost twenty," I plead.

"What are you going to do after you have fetus?" Alex asks pointing to the still small bubble formed on my lower abdomen. "We can't possibly work, pay the bills plus care for it. We would drown within months," Alex rejects my idea to move in together for the hundredth time. Instead of carrying on with the conversation, I let it die. Alex goes back to the show she was watching on my TV while I pull my laptop into my lap. Searching for apartments or houses to rent near our parents.

I search for what seems like hours before a reasonable priced apartment just three minutes away from our parents, but also right downtown a few blocks down from Holms Architecture. "Only four-seventy a month, utilities included in rent; plus it is two bedroom, one bath with a big kitchen and living room," I mischievously inform my best friend letting her look at the place herself.

"Okay, but where are we going to get the money?"

I think for a second then remember my father's conversation last night with my mother, "I can get the receptionist job at the office, and it would be perfect." Holms Architecture's receptionist, the one I met, was fired from being rude to costumers and just being an all-around bitch. "Alright, let's call the people then," Alex reluctantly pulls out her cell phone typing in the number of the apartment complex.

"Hello," Alex greets, "Yes... to view apartment 182?"

I listen closely before Alex mouths to me, "Is three tomorrow good?" I nod my head as Alex tells the woman on the phone. They say their good-byes, hanging up the phone Alex puts the date and time into her calendar. "Thanks, Al," I tell my friend letting her go back to TV.

"Don't thank me yet, Wills."

--

Yesterday, we went to look at the apartment with my father and Trash. My father advised that it was practically a steal to get a brand new apartment at only four-seventy a month especially with it being not even a block from the beach and downtown. There were minor things, like painting, which Trash volunteered to do as long as we get the paint, supplies pizza and beer for him. "Are you sure about leaving again?" My mother asks waiting for me to say this is all a joke.

She volunteered to help me pack the limited things I have since my doctor has advised me not to lift too many heavy boxes. "Mom, don't worry. Alex and I are only three or so minutes away, besides you and Delphine are getting keys as well." I tell her. Yesterday on the way home, Alex and I agreed to give our parents keys just in case something happened. So I nominated my mom and Delphine, since they are always home; Alex is giving a key to her parents and Trash. "Besides, you should be excited for me. I'm getting my life back on track."

"Oh, Ellie, I am proud of you; I truly am. But you just got home," my mom answers placing my books into a big box.

"We'll be fine, trust me."

"Okay, I trust you."

--

"Thank you, thank you," I say shaking my father's and Mr. Holms' hand as well as their business executives and partners. I had aced all my requirements to get the receptionist job at the office. Though they were concerned about my relationship with Mr. Holms and being my father's daughter. "I won't let you down, trust me."