chapter 2

I cursed the director in my head. Did he know we were mates when I got the assignment? If so, why didn't he tell me? I took a deep breath, this didn't change anything. I still had an assignment to complete. 

He was up and out of his chair before I could blink. The hulking man was heading right towards me, but when he reached his hand out to grab me I took a step back. He stopped and looked at me confused before taking another step forward, so I took another step back. I tried not to smirk when I noticed it was making him angry.

"Stop backing away from me," he demanded. Oh great, I thought, we've been in the same room for thirty seconds and he's already pissing me off. Controlling? Check. Annoying? Double check.

"Do not tell me what to do." I challenged him and he raised his eyebrows in surprise. I doubt anyone has ever had the guts to talk to back to him. No surprise there, challenging an alpha, let alone the Crown Alpha, most likely meant death. No matter how nice an alpha appeared, they were not known for tolerating disobedience.  

"I am your mate and the Crown Alpha, if I give you an order you follow it." He gritted his teeth and his eyes darkened with the anger pulsing through him. in anger. Boy please, I rolled my eyes. You will have to do better than pulling the  "I'm the crown alpha," thing for me to respect you. 

"You don't own me. I will do whatever I damn well please." I glared back at him, refusing to back down.

"I'm your mate of course I own you, and even if we weren't mates, I'm the crown alpha so I own you anyways." His cocky attitude was not helping the situation, if anything it only made me more defiant. 

"Oh I'm sorry, is being the Crown Alpha supposed to impress me? Because the way you just said you own me makes it clear that you're not fit for the job." I bit out the words and couldn't help the satisfaction I felt when his smile faded. This probably was not the way to gain his trust and favor, but I refused to be bullied and pushed around.

"You don't get to talk to me like that. Learn some respect or we're going to have a problem," He snapped at me, taking a step closer to try to intimidate me. It didn't work. In fact, I took a step closer to challenge him.

"It looks like we already do," I smiled sweetly but my tone was laced with annoyance.

Our dispute was cut off when the office doors were pushed open wider as young woman walked in. I spared a quick glance at her and immediately recognized her as Tristan's sister, Stacey. Her described her as having a calm and caring personality, usually trying to calm Tristan down from his outbursts. Well, hopefully she could work some of that calm mojo now - otherwise I'm gonna kick his ass and blown the whole assignment wide open. 

"Hey Jace!" She beamed at her mate who kissed her check as she walked by. "Tristan, are you guys- oh!" She stopped mid-step. "Am I interrupting something?" She asked looking back and fourth between her brother and I.

"No." I said and the same time Tristan said, "Yes."

The tension in the room was palpable as we stood inches apart, glaring at each other. I was going to kill the director, this was poorly thought out. I imagine I was chosen for the assignment because we were mates, assuming it would help me to assimilate faster. If only the director could only see us now I'm sure he would have assigned this mission to someone else.

Stacy glanced at Jace for a second, a worried look crossed her face, and then went back to staring at us. I knew that she knew the moment her eyes widened in excitement. 

"Oh my gosh, you two are mates!" She squealed, proceeding to jump up and down while clapping her hands. 

"I honestly thought this doofus would be alone forever." She said rushing over to give me a hug. It was an awkward moment as I gently pat her on the back. How do I make it obvious this is not the ideal situation without isolating these people?