Study Session Sparks

Jim sat in the academy library staring into a Logistics book. He had taken the Kobayashi Maru for the first time just about 3 month ago and failed, almost completely and totally according to the admirals watching it. Apparently, it's against regulations to tell the Klingons to fuck off and then when realizing you were out gunned to run like hell. The worst part is that each cadet is only allowed one shot at the test per year until they reach senior year where they are allowed to take it as many times as they'd like. So for now, he'd just have to move on with his other classes until he got another shot.

            He had a quarterly exam to prepare for in both his logistics class, his xeno-cultures class, and his ethics class. He looked to the giant stack of textbooks sitting next to him and decided that he was going to be here for a while, so he may as well make himself comfortable, so he got up and moved over to the library to buy a coffee. It was most likely going to be the first of many.

            Spock stood by the computer screen in the history section with his backpack hanging from one shoulder while he used the other arm to link the information to his PADD. He had finished all of his prep for both his logistics and xeno-culture classes, so he had some extra time on his hands tonight, therefore, he decided to spend that time reading up on some major Star Fleet events of the past and possibly using one as an example in class.

            Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a stack of books on a table next to multiple notebooks. Fascinating, Spock thought, why would someone be using paper textbooks and notepads when everything is available on PADD and computer. The curiosity became overwhelming and he decided to investigate, possibly find the owner of such materials.

            He moved over to the table and looked at the supplies. There was a xeno-culture book, a logistics book, and an ethics book, all three accompanied by lecture notes from those classes. Looking at the lecture notes for logistics, Spock realized that those were notes for one of his lectures.

            Jim got his coffee from the barista and moved back to his table, although when he looked back over there, his heart started pounding in his ears. Professor Spock was standing at his table looking at his notes. Jim slowly, hesitantly approached the table. "Professor Spock?" the cadet questioned.

            Spock turned around to see the owner of the supplies, and it was none other than Jim Kirk, the last cadet he would imagine actually studying. "Cadet Kirk," he greeted with a nod.

            "What are you doing here professor? And, uh, is there something wrong with my notes or something?" Jim asked nervously.

            Spock's cheeks began turning a light shade of green with embarrassment. "My apologies, cadet. I was looking through the history section when I saw your supplies. I was curious though, why do you have all these books and notepads when it would be much more efficient to  have all of these items on a computer of PADD?"

            "Oh, well, that's a bit of a story," Jim said sitting back down at his table.

            "One I am quite eager to hear, Cadet. May I join you for a bit?"

            Now Jim was the one who was blushing. The Vulcan professor is interested in something I have to say? The cute, Vulcan professor with black hair like silk that I'd pay anything to run my fingers through? Ok, gotta stop thinking about this stuff because I heard something in xeno-culture about them being telepaths. Play it cool. "Yeah, sure." Spock put his bag down and sat in the chair across from Kirk. "So," Jim began, "it all sort of started back in high school. I was a pretty great student. I would do my work to the best of my ability and all that stuff. Then senior year comes around, and my PADD breaks. My mom was always off planet and my son-of-a-bitch, bastard step dad, Frank, was too cheap to buy me a new one. That jerk was willing to two hundred fifty dollars a week on alcohol at the bar, but couldn't spare a penny to get me something I needed for school." Kirk shook his head with disappointment and disgust. "Anyway, for the rest of that school year, I was basically screwed considering every resource for our classes was either on PADD or computer. Eventually, mom came back home for a few months and found out what was going on, but we both knew that Frank would raise hell if I got a new PADD, so she gave me a box full of notepads, and I talked to my teachers and they got me paper textbook versions of the classes and that's how I just barely slid through those classes. Now, I guess I'm just kinda stuck on them."