The Academy

When Jim started at Star Fleet, one of the first people he met was Leonard McCoy. Leonard sat next to Jim on the flight to the academy and even turned out to be his roommate. Jim found out he was on the medical pathway and even though he was joining Star Fleet, he was terrified of space. As they started getting to know each other, the all too famous question got asked.

Jim was still unloading his bags on his side of the room and Leonard sat down on the bed next to Jim's. "So," the doctor began, "have you found your soulmate yet?"

Jim smiled. "Nah. No, but I feel as if I have gotten close before, but turns out I was wrong."

Leonard laughed. "I hear that. I actually thought I found mine a long time ago. Hell, I even married the girl and had a daughter. But if a soulmate is how they say they are, I'm damn sure she wasn't it. Woman couldn't go too minutes without startin' a fight or blamin' something on me. She thought everything was my fault." He leaned back further on the bed. "We ended up getting' a divorce and she took everything in it, even custody of our little girl. Felt as if I couldn't get away from her, so I decided to head into space. Star Fleet pays pretty good and I'm putting most of the money into a savings account for my baby girl's future. All I got left now is my Bones."

Kirk stopped unpacking and sat on the bed across from his new friend. "Oh, you shouldn't have said that."

"Why?" McCoy asked.

"Because that's what I'm gonna call you now, Bones."

"No. The name's McCoy. "

"Whatever you say, Bones."

Bones sighed. "This friendship is gonna be the death of me, isn't it?"

Jim grinned ear to ear. "Now you're getting the hang of it."
.................................................................................................

Spock started unloading his box of supplies at his desk. After being in the academy for 4 years and First Officer of the Enterprise under Captain Pike, the Admirals offered him a Professor's job while the Enterprise was on hiatus. Spock would be a professor of xenobiology and logistics.

After years of living on Vulcan, he finally felt almost welcome somewhere. Although he would get lingering looks at his ears or silent judgement from some of his crew for not being emotional in their eyes, overall, he was happy with Star Fleet. Star Fleet was an organization with people he could actually call... acquaintances. He didn't have to fear being beat up on the way home for not being Vulcan, and with the amount of extra-terrestrial beings on earth, Spock didn't have to worry about being hated for not being human (even though he was the only Vulcan).

Spock finished setting up his desk as the first group of students walked in. One of the students set her stuff down and moved up to the front, presumably to talk to him. "Professor Spock?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Nyota Uhura. I'm an assistant 4th hour for Admiral Pike and he told me all about you. Its an honor to have you as a teacher."

Spock nodded. "I appreciate your enthusiasm Cadet Uhura. It will be a pleasure to have you in class." Spock turned his back and started to write the day's lesson plan on the board. As he wrote, he heard Cadet Uhura and her friends giggling behind him.

"Suck up," one said.

"Hey, he just seems like a nice guy. I don't see a lot of Vulcans on Earth," Ntoya replied.

"He's kinda cute," another attempted to whisper.

Spock started blushing green.