Chapter One: Escape

Start from the beginning

Behind the station was another house that had a fence up, but the house lived up further onto the property with almost a wooded area separating the fence and house.

Alone, she sat trying to plot an idea on how to escape and what her next move would be. Her hands dug into the pockets of her hoodie and jeans. She had absolutely nothing.

Her hands massaged around her leg and now that her adrenaline was coming down the pain flared. She was deeply uncomfortable and it didn't just end with her leg.

The wait behind the station was becoming long and the silence was playing with her mind. Every faint noise set paranoia that someone was going to find her.

The anticipation of hiding set a pain in the core of her abdomen. She needed to pee and the longer she tried to be still and silent the urge would continue to sting. The space around her wasn't going to be pleasant if she had to sit next to her own urine though the honest truth was she didn't want to be found sitting next to a puddle of her own waste.

She eased herself out of her spot trying to keep the area around her as silent as possible.

The stations lights were bright over the pumps and around the corner she looked through the windows of the store. It brought a sense of normalcy. She felt like any other customer just going to the store. She looked over the aisles and counter for any sign of a cashier and where he might be. Not seeing anyone she took the moment to sneak in quick unseen and rush back out with no complication.

She swung the large windowed door open and wobbled with as much pep as she could muster and pushed herself to the back.

After finishing up, she stood over the sink looking at her wrecked face in the mirror. It held red lines and blemishes with her eyes puffy and red.

Spacing down, the water finally getting hot, she let the flow send shivers down her spin. Her bliss for warmth was ripped away when before her glazed view she saw red washing from her hands and swirling down the sink. Shaking her head and closing her eyes she breathed in deeply.

Peering back down now, the water was as it should be, washing clean over her hands.

Dizzy from her own thoughts she stumbled back over to the toilet as she vomited. She sat with her face over the mess, tears stinging her eyes. After wiping her mouth and a quick clean she started to head back out into the store.

Though, turning the corner her heart sank once again and immediately hated her dumb luck. Of all the things that could've happened.

Two men stood at the counter and a clerk with a panic look on his face behind it. "Anything you want, man," the cashier says as he opens the draw with shaky hands.

One waves a bat down on the counter. "Open the draw and give us the money," he says. They laugh as he jumps and grabs a plastic bag.

The other with a gun moves over to the windows and looks out to make sure everything is still clear. As he moves back his eyes sweep over the floor and his eyes land on her. "Get on the ground," he yelled pointing the gun at her.

With her hands pressed to the cold ground, she told herself this was it. He'd either shoot her or her escape was up once the swarms of cops showed up to the fiasco. Though she was completely thrown off when the other stepped over and said, "Let's take her with us."

"Dude, no, we're not going to have time for that," he explained as he started walking back lowering his gun. He glared at his friend urging him to follow and even nudged slightly with his neck.

"Get up," he said slamming his bat into the cooler door beside him. Catharine jumped but didn't move off the floor. Offended he stormed over to snatch his pal's gun. "Get up." He repeats pointing the gun directly at her.